Rate the Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rate the Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate the Yankees

Postby timely » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:54 pm

O.K, so offensively they are pretty awesome (on paper anyway).

Where do you rate their defense and pitching?

We saw A-Rod`s error at his unnatural third position, and we saw Matsui`s error at his unnatural position of Left field.

Are the yankees going to prove that an offensively pewerful team of hitters will not be able to compensate for an average pitching rotation and ordinary defense, or are they just gonna blow everyone out of the water and finish the season with 120 wins on their way to winning the World Series???

Experts, please
timely

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jeffc_76 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:03 pm

I think it is WAY too early to downgrade the Yankees pitching rotation to "average". Brown, Mussina, and Vazquez would all be #1's on most teams. Contreras, Lieber, (and don't forget El Duque) have the potential to be outstanding. Out of those six, there's a good chance we will get 4 very solid starters for the postseason.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:12 pm

i dont think that they have an average pitching rotation.... it may turn out to be pretty good, but theres just way too many question marks... as for their offense, they dont have a good leadoff hitter but they do have the best 3-4-5-6 punch on paper... yeah average defense.... unproven chemistry.. lots of oldies- theyre the oldest team in the majors... again theres a lot of question marks ????... more than any other team in the majors, but thats just my take on it and baing a BoSox fan i might be a little biased :-)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:57 pm

It's true I'm a Yankee fan but here's my take on them.....

Offense-- Going to be awesome. Every newcomer to NY starts slow. Giambi did, Clemens, etc.. But one big swing from A-Rod and he'll be the MVP we all know he is. The same happened to Giambi two years ago when he hit the walkoff grand slam. Once A-Rod does what I like to call "Earning his Pinstripes" the offense will be unstoppable for the most part.

Pitching-- Once we get a true 5th starter whether it be Lieber, El Duque or someone we pick up in a trade such as Kris Benson or even such names as Randy Johnson (which I have heard could be a possibility if the D'Backs are off to a slow start and just choose to get young and lower their salary) we have a great staff. Mussina, Brown and Vazquez are all number 1 starters as said before. Contereas just needs to get into the groove of things and get more consistent. He is a ? but has the potential to be something great.

Defense-- Better than you might think. Posada is a very good catcher and now we have gold glove caliber Travis Lee playing first base (did you see those plays he made his first day back?) Enrique Wilson is a very good defensive 2B. Jeter is ok on SS. A-Rod has been a rock on third. He more shaky with his bat than he is with his brand new position. The outfield from then on is mediocre. Sheffield does nothing special. Matsui is actually a decent fielder. Bernie has no arm..BUT Bubba Crosby is an excellent center-fielder and he'll definately get some time there this season.

So....though I am a Yankee fan I think as soon as this team works out the kinks we still have the best team in baseball. Just my take though...
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mikcou » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:02 pm

I dont think that Contreras will ever get into the "groove". I think he is more made out to be a 1-2 inning reliever. I didnt see what other people saw in him last year :-P
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:04 pm

I think what people saw in him was a 7-2 record with a 3.30 ERA and 72 K's in 71 innings. Not to mention he was the most dominating pitcher in Cuba.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tool069c » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:07 pm

Does contreras have grandkids yet?

All these "when's" getting tossed around...like when they pitch better, when they hit better, when they get better chemistry...how about "IF"...There are no guarentees in life, except that steinhitler is pissed off right now...
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:08 pm

ajgdrummer7 wrote:
Pitching-- Once we get a true 5th starter whether it be Lieber, El Duque or someone we pick up in a trade such as Kris Benson or even such names as Randy Johnson (which I have heard could be a possibility if the D'Backs are off to a slow start and just choose to get young and lower their salary) we have a great staff. Mussina, Brown and Vazquez are all number 1 starters as said before. Contereas just needs to get into the groove of things and get more consistent. He is a ? but has the potential to be something great.

you just mentioned the Big Unit's name in the same sentence as 5th starter... how could you? :-D

btw- i still think that as of right now, the Sox have a lil better pitching and defense tho.... but with a good 5th starter like "Randy Johnson", the Yankees can match the Sox in the pitching department... im also really glad to finally see a Yankees fan who deosn't think that Derek Jeter should win the Gold Glove every year ;-D

anyways its gonna be pretty interesting this year and i'll see those damn Yankees in the damn ALCS
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:13 pm

tool069c wrote:Does contreras have grandkids yet?

All these "when's" getting tossed around...like when they pitch better, when they hit better, when they get better chemistry...how about "IF"...There are no guarentees in life, except that steinhitler is pissed off right now...

i just cant stop laughing :-D :-D .... someone call 911
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:15 pm

in that case we can go ahead and say IF pedro ever hits 90 mph again, IF nomar ever forgives the redsox, IF johnny damon ever cuts his hair.. :-D. i think when you have a superstar such as a-rod who happens to be the best player in major league baseball and who could turn out to be one of the greatest players that ever played the game, you don't just write him off after 2 poor weeks. that's why i'm not saying IF. i never said conteras would pitch great i said he has the potential too. the IFs can apply to every team in baseball, not just the yanks.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers