Questions for Bonds haters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Questions for Bonds haters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:02 am

Bedard wrote:Ah, the comedy. I'll rephrase my response. He's strong. He lifts. You're not as strong. Other players aren't as strong. Deal with it.

your original response wasn't that funny :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:27 am

JamesBond007 wrote:
ramble2 wrote:As for the following:

JamesBond007 wrote:i still won't respect him like the players who played the game back when the game was pure

how pampered today's players are, but seem to ignore how exploited players used to be.

Well, thanks for taking a shot at me, Bonds would be proud.

Players exploited? i've never seen anyone forced into playing Major League Baseball. If they weren't being treated fairly playing a game for a living, they could always get a real job.

Sorry for having an opinion you don't agree with....

Taking a shot at you? I'm disagreeing with you, that's all. No need to take it personally.

You're right, nobody ever forced anyone to play MLB. But if you think that players were never exploited, then you don't know baseball history. I still don't know what you mean when you say 'back when the game was pure'. If you think I'm misunderstanding you, simply explain what you meant.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby LetsPlay2 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:07 am

"how pampered today's players are, but seem to ignore how exploited players used to be."

I understand what you're saying and have seen a couple specials on how things used to be when every owner was in cahoots. However, if you compare the way the average worker in the meat packing industry, textile mills, secretarial pool, and just in general was "exploited" to the way that the average baseball player was "exploited" at the time, we all know that being a baseball player was still preferable to 95% of the jobs available. And then if you couple that with the gains that have been made by the average baseball player to the gains made by the average worker, any "but they used to have it so bad" claims become laughable. Unless you're a king or a Trump, you'll get "exploited" in some form or other given the definition of the word, but I think that word should be used a bit more judiciously.

Didn't seem like you took a shot at anybody though.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JamesBond007 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:14 am

ramble2 wrote:As for the following:

JamesBond007 wrote:i still won't respect him like the players who played the game back when the game was pure

I don't even know what the heck this is supposed to mean - except that it comes across as very ignorant.
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby timely » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:26 am

Hate the guy as much as you want, there is no such thing as an unfair advantage. Some guys have made the decision not to take roids, and good luck to them. I hope they can sleep well at night knowing that they are good players who are "clean".

I am sure Bonds sleeps well at night knowing that he will be remembered for decades as one of th most awesome hitters ever to play the game. Hitters using corked bats, pitchers using vaseline, spit, sweat etc, roids...whatever. All of these guys are doing whatever it takes to win.

Don`t blame Bonds, blame the league for doing nothing about it.

If the league lets you get away with it, what ius the incentive to stop?
timely

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LetsPlay2 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:50 am

"Don`t blame Bonds, blame the league for doing nothing about it."

It's official, there's no such thing as personal accountability any more.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby timely » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:01 am

How can anyone be critical of someone who is doing everything in his power to succeed?
timely

Friendliness: %

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:48 am

No one can ever measure up to the Babe, especially when you consider the conditions he had to play under (a belly full of stale whiskey and a hangover that would register on the Richter scale combined with only a couple hours sleep - try that Barry!)
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby hybrid » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:04 am

I love how people dislike him cause he seems a certain way after they read or hear a few comments about him. Most of them are taken out of context, read the whole story don't dislike him cause of a couple sentences and that is how you make up your mind. All of you people think you know him just cause of his clippings you read from the press, you should really know better. None of you know him and how can you judge him on anything, w/ out even being close to walking in his shoes. I don't care at all when people talk about if he used 'roids (cause i think it is based more upon numbers and something you can actually see) as much as when people talk about his personality. None of you know him in the least bit, but you hear a few statements and pass judgement on him. People will disagree on issues, but to go as far as disliking and/or hating him based on that seems very unfair ad wrong. Go ahead dislike some of the things he has said as long as you don't take it out of context, but how can you hate or dislike a man you know nothing about other then he is a baseball player.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:44 am

Mind if I chime in .... :-)

The house that Ruth built ... "Yankee Stadium"
circa 1923
Left field .................301'
Right field ................296' with a 4' wall

The House that Barry built ... formerly "Pac Bell"
Left field ................ 335'
Right field ............... 307' with a fricking 48' wall.
.. I wonder what the Babes numbers would really look like if he had to play in Barrys house half the year.

Aaahhhh, but you put Barry into New York. Even into modern day Yankee stadium, not that band box Ruth played in. No disrespect for the Babe of course, but anybody want to guess as to how many Homeruns Barry would have, if he played in Yankee stadium today? With the best lineup protection money can buy? The same type of protection Babe Ruth was afforded!! They would be forced to pitch to Barry alot more. Barry gets scrubs around him. Absolute garbage.

I'll take a stab and say 80 maybe 85 homeruns through out Barrys career have been lost, simply because of where he has played, and the lineups he has batted in. Babe Ruth was lucky to have been forced to play under such circumstances.

Besides, the press loved the Babe, so of course the sheep followed. Its a complete 180° when it comes to Barry now isn't it, just check with the sheep. Any guess as to what the modern day New York press would do to a married and womanizing, drunk, overwieght baseball player today?

all the more love for you Barry .....

lastly,
"And if it does happen, the only number I care about is Babe Ruth's. Because as a left-handed hitter, I wiped him out"

Maybe I am just not seeing it, but what is so bad about that statement? Aren't sports supposed to be comptetive? :-?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers