Gagne Sucks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne Sucks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gagne Sucks

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:54 pm

I dont really think that, but I do think that Gagne's owners are in for a surprise this year. He has not looked as lights-out as last year. Just look at his series against the Giants. True, he got all three saves, but was shaky in the first two, and not Gagne-like at all today.

The first game he gave up a walk, and then a HR to Bonds. He's lucky he had a 3 run lead to start the inning, or he would have broken his streak of completed saves.

The second game was even worse. He started out giving up a HR to Feliz. Then he proceeded to walk two batters. Then with Bonds on deck, he got lucky when Grissom grounded into a double play, hitting the ball up the middle so that Izturis could step on second and throw to first easily. Any place besides there and Bonds is stepping to the plate with a runner on third. Again, Gagne was lucky the Dodgers scored a run in the top of the ninth, or he would have blown the save.

And today, even though he struck out the side, Gagne had to battle through the ABs. He thew 22 pitches to 4 batters, not a Gagne-like number. Each AB went to at least 4 pitches, and the 4-pitch AB to end the game was all changeups and curves. In fact, he barely threw more than 4 fastballs the whole inning.

Either the Giants just have his number, or Gagne has lost something. I would venture to say that it is the latter.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rajin » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:56 pm

Just to nitpick, but he threw about 8 straight fastballs to Durham.
Rajin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:59 pm

And 6 of those were balls. The umpire blew the first pitch call, and then the second strike was way outside.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

imo

Postby jpbusta » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:00 pm

What's important is that in 1Ip he gained 3 Ks 0.00 era 1.00 whip.
Not a whole lot of closers can do that. :-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetruthis... » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:01 pm

Or could you just be bitter???
thetruthis...

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Da GM » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:03 pm

Maybe, but he's still the best closer in baseball (by a pretty significant margin) until proven otherwise
Da GM
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Praying that the Mets aren't mathematically eliminated from the playoff race in July

Postby Tis » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:04 pm

You could be pitching with and Anti-Tank Gun and still give up the occasional home run to bonds :/
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: ...

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:04 pm

thetruthis... wrote:Or could you just be bitter???

Well, I am. But that doesnt mean what I said is wrong. WHen I wrote it I thought that it would spark some intelligent discussion, something this forum has lacked today (no offense, Marlinsforlizzife). Thats why I gave examples and didnt just blow steam.

So come on, why doesnt Gagne suck?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Gagne Sucks

Postby perlick29 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:08 pm

[quote="

Either the Giants just have his number, or Gagne has lost something. I would venture to say that it is the latter.[/quote]

You say the latter I say the former. two starters that gagne faced yesterday had Ba's of over .300 against him. I'm not sure any two other players in the whole league can say that that aren't 1 for 3 or something. Gagne is great. Unless injured, never, ever, ever, ever, doubt him. He's as close to a rock as they come. You say tomatoe I say tomahto...
Last edited by perlick29 on Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fezzik » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:08 pm

Well...clearly his streak can't go on forever. However, his fastball is hitting 100+ on the radar gun (even pitching on his fourth consecutive night, he was hitting 97-98). He was still getting great downward movement on his change. One of the K's tonight was with his curve. If anything, his location is a little off.

And yes, the Giants do have a special weapon...Bonds. He was on fire all series...locked in that "you simply can't get a strike by me" mode.

I'm not worried about Gagne. His stuff is still electric. Feliz is an excellent fastball hitter and Gagne challenged him with nobody on base...he lost, but you can't win them all.

I'd say striking out the side today while pitching 4 consecutive days should get a pat on the back. :-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers