Prior rumors are a lie! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior rumors are a lie!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prior rumors are a lie!

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:38 pm

Much to my relief...

Apr 18 Cubs' manager Dusty Baker reacted angrily on Saturday to Internet rumors that Mark Prior would miss the entire season because of his injured right Achilles' tendon. "Hey, man, that's a lie," Baker told the Chicago Tribune. "No, Prior isn't out for the season. He threw the ball good [Friday] and Prior didn't feel any soreness [Saturday]. Very positive signs. Seems like on the Internet today you can say whatever you want to say. Nobody is held accountable for what they say." Prior did not pitch at all during spring training and is currently in the process of re-building enough arm strength and durability to pitch. It's interesting to note that Prior told reporters this week that his injury was more in his ankle area and the pain is extending into his Achilles.
Views: Another day, another rumor about Prior. At some point, you start ignoring all of them. What we know for certain is that April is more than half over and Prior is nowhere near ready to pitch yet. The most optimistic speculation on his return is mid-May, and that's with no setbacks.

Apr 18 The Chicago Tribune's Fred Mitchell reports Chicago Cubs manager Dusty Baker is getting disgusted with the rumors flying around regarding P Mark Prior (Achilles). "I don't know who's putting that out. Some people say I said it and I am tired of people putting words in my mouth when I didn't say it. If it came out of my mouth I would tell the Chicago media before I would tell somebody else," Baker said. "No, Prior isn't out for the season. He threw the ball good Friday and Prior didn't feel any soreness Saturday. Very positive signs. Seems like on the Internet today you can say whatever you want to say. Nobody is held accountable for what they say."

from yahoo sports...and fanball. The manager is the man to listen to.
NittanyLions
College Coach
College Coach

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zito is God » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:40 pm

I still say hes out at least until early June.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:47 pm

i dont recall reading that he will be out for the year. what i read was that he wont pitch until he is pain free. no one knows when he will be pain free. there is no timetable for his return. therefore, it is possible he could miss the entire season.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:30 pm

Is that the same Dusty Baker who insisted throughout the early part of last season that Alfonseca would get his closer's job back once he was healthy?

As for Prior, I think he pitches at some point, but also agree there's a possibility he's down for the year. He's had a few steps forward here and there, only to meet another setback each time.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:32 pm

I don't think that we can REALLY say that the article was a lie until we know what happens to Prior. They MAY be right and they MAY not...

Even if they turn out to be correct, they are guessing, rather than basing it on any knowledge, taking a little blurb, perhaps one lifted out of context, and extrapolating a diagnosis. I said in the other thread that I'd CONSIDER buying it if they had dropped some dough on a team of sports doctors and biomechanical engineers to analyze the 'problem' but, w/o some 'evidence' besides a short blurb from Rothschild, probably lifted out of context.

Oddly, the story doesn't appear to be on the ESPN site today, even though several from earlier in the week are there.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby waffle_prince » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:47 pm

I wouldn't take a whole lot of stock in the rumors flying around about Prior, but the last person I would believe is the manager. Maybe baseball managers are different (and Dusty is not, as thehat seems to suggest), but certainly managers and coaches in other sports lie all the time about the status of their players. Prior is not pitching until May at the earliest, and that's the only thing anyone should believe.
"Funny. You like samurai swords . . . I like baseball."
waffle_prince
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mikcou » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:56 pm

Zito is God wrote:I still say hes out at least until early June.

as do I
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mtarail » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:00 pm

You mean he doesn't need Tommy John surgery and he's not on roids? Thanks for clearing that up. ;-D
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers