Time to trade away Billy Wagner ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to trade away Billy Wagner ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to trade away Billy Wagner ...

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:35 am

I was reading my favorite daily section ... "notes"
and something struck me funny. Why had I not thought of this before? Larry Bowa is an idiot. That is a given, any fan knows that, and he doesn't even need to pee in a cup to convince me. But why we as fantasy team owners, choose to own any of his players is beyond me. I mean I understand Thome and Abreu. They are studs without question. I even own Polanco on a few teams. But I know for a fact, having owned Randy Wolf over the last two seasons, that Larry Bowa has probably cost Randy 8 or 9 wins over that same span. He is a horrible manager. And every once in a while, we only need Larry to remind us of it.

NOTES: wrote: ... After bullpen struggles helped cost the Phillies the NL wild card last year, manager Larry Bowa feels good about having Billy Wagner closing games. "If we can get through the seventh inning, we'll be in pretty good shape," Bowa said. Wagner has three saves in the last three games and Bowa said he would use him Sunday, if necessary. Wagner said he'd do it, but "it's not a one-man show down there." ...

Hey Larry ...... Its Fricking April !!!! 8-o

damn i hate that man
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:59 am

At this rate, Billy's arm'll fall off in...three days. :-[
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Slapweasel » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:03 am

Are you saying that he won't go to Wagner for every save opportunity? He's 'resting' him? I think that is the crux of your statement, but I'm pretty dumb.
-The Self-Proclaimed Voice Of Truth And Reason-
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel-
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Goldberg » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:54 am

Bowa's an idiot. How he got a contract extesion I'll never know. Even Wagner has to have a day off occasionally. He finally got the type of closer he wanted, and now he's going to throw his arm off.

Geez, send me in there and I'll spear and jackhammer Bowa. I'm sure the Philly fans will appreciate it. B-)
Goldberg

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Slapweasel » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:04 am

I'm very sure I need an explanation. I think people are getting very different ideas.
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Goldberg » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:11 am

Slapweasel wrote:I'm very sure I need an explanation. I think people are getting very different ideas.

An explanation of what?

Wagner got a save on Thursday, another on Friday, and another one on Saturday. Now Bowa's saying that if they need Wagner on Sunday, he's going to use him? When was the last time you saw a closer pitch 4 consecutive days? Bowa's an absolute idiot if he uses Wagner tomorrow and even Wagner tried to politely point that out.
Goldberg

Postby Slapweasel » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:23 am

If I'm correct, you can and should use a closer every other game, if he is healthy. Dotel, Foulke, Wagner and Gagne pitched 80+ innings last year.

Larry Bowa, Dusty Baker and Jimy Williams are all idiots, at critical times as far as I'm concerned, but Wagner holds teams to an inning's worth of nothing.

I'd use him in that fashion if I were in his position. Tell Wagner to shut up and pitch.
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swingaway » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:34 am

Slapweasel wrote:If I'm correct, you can and should use a closer every other game, if he is healthy. Dotel, Foulke, Wagner and Gagne pitched 80+ innings last year.

Larry Bowa, Dusty Baker and Jimy Williams are all idiots, at critical times as far as I'm concerned, but Wagner holds teams to an inning's worth of nothing.

I'd use him in that fashion if I were in his position. Tell Wagner to shut up and pitch.

why pitch your closer that many times in a row the phils still have tim worell dont they why not used him hes pretty good and haves experince in closer or is bowa that dumb
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:08 am

Slapweasel wrote:If I'm correct, you can and should use a closer every other game, if he is healthy. Dotel, Foulke, Wagner and Gagne pitched 80+ innings last year.

Slappy, I don't know where you get every "other" game from. The post was about using Wagner in four "straight" games.

I believe, as do others more knowledgeable than me, that using a pitcher in 4 straight games will have a serious deleterious affect on a pitcher. Besides, it is April and not the stretch drive - why not keep your closer healthy for the long haul and use Worrell?

Slappy this is now the second thread tonight that you have taken a run at Wrveres - you have a chip on your shoulder or something?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby deweyboondi » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:36 am

Last time a closer was used 4 days in a row.Last week by Jack Mckeon.

And when ya really think about it, 4 innings in 4 days is not that big of a deal.I mean most of these guys were starters at one point or another in there life.Wagner got the big bux, so its only right to run his ass out there whenever you need him.
deweyboondi

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers