Mark McGwire... You Decide - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark McGwire... You Decide

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:07 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
Melo255 wrote:Perhaps you should notice that 11 years went by between those pictures. 11 years is plenty of time to get bigger. Damn I'd be Arnold if I worked out like those guys do. That being said I still think he did steroids but I could care less anyway. All the more power to him. Juice up.


If you think that 11 years have elapsed between September 1998 and April 2004 then you need to start hitting the books to learn those math skills.


If you think those were the dates he was talking about then you need to start working on those common sense skills. ;-D
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2006
Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pitching from the left side.

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:09 pm

Liberty30 wrote:How come he has "shrunk" since he retired? You would expect a little loss of muscle mass because he surely is not working out like he did when he was playing, but typically don't athletes GAIN weight when they retire (and become inactive). Who knows... perhaps he's on Atkins... or South Beach


Athletes don't necessarily gain weight, they lose muscle and GAIN fat. And just so ya know, muscle weighs more than body fat. I doubt McGwire works out like he did when he was playing, and I'm pretty damn sure he stopped with the andro.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2006
Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pitching from the left side.

Postby Liberty30 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:14 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:
Liberty30 wrote:How come he has "shrunk" since he retired? You would expect a little loss of muscle mass because he surely is not working out like he did when he was playing, but typically don't athletes GAIN weight when they retire (and become inactive). Who knows... perhaps he's on Atkins... or South Beach


Athletes don't necessarily gain weight, they lose muscle and GAIN fat. And just so ya know, muscle weighs more than body fat. I doubt McGwire works out like he did when he was playing, and I'm pretty damn sure he stopped with the andro.


My apologies. You are correct. I was wrong in what I typed. But from reading my comment you knew what I meant. I said they lose muscle mass, but gain weight. OK, they don't gain pounds, but they should "look" fatter. They may lose weight, but develop a belly. I was commenting that for a man who should be looking fatter... he isn't.
Image
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 824
Joined: 27 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Deck Circle

Postby jeffc_76 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:15 pm

specialfred wrote:He was using Andro, he left it sit out in the damn locker room for crying out loud. BUT, it was legal then !+)


Still is legal, for now, but Congress is trying to get it banned. To do this, they want it reclassified as an anabolic steroid. They'll probably succeed because, while it isn't a steroid by strict definition, it metabolizes into one after you take it. There's a lot of information out there about andro (like there are several different and better variations of it today than back in '98). But, if you take an andro, you can get all the same side effects as taking steroids. So, I've alluded to it before but the steroid witch hunt is a little confused. Andro's legal and is arguably a legal otc steroid. THG wasn't considered a steroid until recently because nobody knew it existed. So, how do you say Player X is a cheater but Player Y isn't? I guess they should just start having real testing and penalties but going back in time and pointing fingers selectively really isn't fair.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 663
Joined: 1 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NY

Postby Althalius » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:19 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
Melo255 wrote:Perhaps you should notice that 11 years went by between those pictures. 11 years is plenty of time to get bigger. Damn I'd be Arnold if I worked out like those guys do. That being said I still think he did steroids but I could care less anyway. All the more power to him. Juice up.


If you think that 11 years have elapsed between September 1998 and April 2004 then you need to start hitting the books to learn those math skills.


hmm leiter fan, so quick to insult. what did jesus say? "do not judge lest ye be judged"? Either way, if you look closely, the first picture says 1987... and the next one. well gosh darn it. i'll be. that looks around 11 years to me!
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 558
Joined: 15 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tenafly

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:21 pm

Liberty30 wrote:My apologies. You are correct. I was wrong in what I typed. But from reading my comment you knew what I meant. I said they lose muscle mass, but gain weight. OK, they don't gain pounds, but they should "look" fatter. They may lose weight, but develop a belly. I was commenting that for a man who should be looking fatter... he isn't.


I don't think it's fair to point fingers at a player just because he isn't looking bigger after retiremtn. Like I previously said, he probably isn't working out like he used to, but it doesn't mean he isn't working out at all. If he's eating right and still working out a little bit, he can keep his frame as long as his body can take the work.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2006
Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pitching from the left side.

Postby Liberty30 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:24 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:
Liberty30 wrote:My apologies. You are correct. I was wrong in what I typed. But from reading my comment you knew what I meant. I said they lose muscle mass, but gain weight. OK, they don't gain pounds, but they should "look" fatter. They may lose weight, but develop a belly. I was commenting that for a man who should be looking fatter... he isn't.


I don't think it's fair to point fingers at a player just because he isn't looking bigger after retiremtn. Like I previously said, he probably isn't working out like he used to, but it doesn't mean he isn't working out at all. If he's eating right and still working out a little bit, he can keep his frame as long as his body can take the work.


It's not that he hasn't gained "fat." It's that he looks so much smaller. My jaw dropped when I saw the picture. (Because of course Mark has made sure to stay out of the public eye since he retired. Some say so that the rapid loss of size wouldn't look so rapid.)
Image
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 824
Joined: 27 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Deck Circle

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:28 pm

Well he could be smaller because he quit using the Andro. Like was posted earlier, it's basically just a legal form of steroids. Same effect. However, I don't think you could call somebody a cheater for finding a better source for muscle and strength. If Ronnie Coleman had a company make a specially formulated protein bar or creatine, would everyone say he cheated to win Mr. Olympia? I doubt it.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2006
Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pitching from the left side.

Postby Andy1234 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:34 pm

slomo007 wrote:What happened to your accent from last night?
I was going to ask the same thing. LOL But at least he could be understood today.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2062
Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Liberty30 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:00 am

changed my first post a bit. more accurate now.

was: Did Mark McGwire use steroids? (I may be off on exactly what I had, but I think that's close enough

Though andro is merely a "precursor" i've gone ahead and changed the caption to what it is now: "How bout them steroids?!"
Image
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 824
Joined: 27 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Deck Circle

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: threelions, unioreimi and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact