How does warmer/cooler temperatures affect the game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How does warmer/cooler temperatures affect the game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How does warmer/cooler temperatures affect the game?

Postby Tis » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:32 am

Yikes wrote:1) Generally, do pitchers prefer warmer or cooler temperature to pitch in? I heard cold temperature make the ball tougher to grip for hurlers

SP P. Martínez (Bos - SP) ^Bal - L 12-7 - IP 5.0 - K 3 - ERA 12.60 - WHIP 2.40

:(
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:33 am

Andy1234 wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I'm no physicist, but the higher the elevation, the less gravity drag that exists. The further away you are from the core of the earth, gravity's effect is least. That's why there is no gravity in space, and why Colorado is known for it's long distances in sports.

Lol. The force of gravity at one mile above sea level would be ((Radius of the Earth [in miles])^2/(Radius of the Earth [in miles] + 1 mile)^2)*(Gravitational force at sea level). Obviously, negligible effect.
He said he wasn't a physicist

Neither am I, neither am I. ;-)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:35 am

Green Monstah wrote:I thought balls went farther in Coors because the air is less dense at higher elevations. Less air = less air resistance = balls travel farther in flight.

That is the main reason. I think another reason is because it is so cold, there is almost no humidity (all the water is ice, etc.), which means even less dense air. I think Coors field tried some contraption at some time or another to "humidify" the baseballs before gametime to try and cut down on the massive HR totals there.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yikes » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:08 am

thanks for the responses, this is what I've gathered from the posts, please add to it if you have anything to contribute. (I was pretty bad at Physics in college and wish I worked harder on the subject)

In general, less air density causes less drag on the ball, therefore allowing the ball to travel farther.

There are two factors (mentioned among the posts) that causes the atmosphere around the ballpark to have less air density:
1) warmer climate (hotter/lighter air)
2) higher elevation (less air around)

So for balls to travel farther, the idea climate is a ballpark that is in a warm climate but also at a high elevation.

In reverse, the ballpark that discourages balls from traveling farther are the ones that are at sea-level and play in cool weather (sounds like the Canadian ballparks, Safeco and Metrodome to me)

I guess in general we "should" expect more homerun balls when summer gets underways because that results in hotter air and less air densidty for the balls to travel through.

Also, (just as a mental note) MLB used to put baseballs in humidifier the balls so there is added weight in the form of moisture therefore reducing the distance it can travel when hit in the air.
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:32 am

Yikes wrote:Metrodome

The Metrodome is a controlled environment, so I'm not sure how much elevation and temperature play into the "climate" there. :-?
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:27 am

I heard a blurb during the Red Sox Yankees games re 'knuckleballers [i.e. Wakefield] prefer cooler weather' but I did not pay attention to the 'why' part of it...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Arlo » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:53 pm

Great stuff! ;-D

One point that's often overlooked is that you can't just look at the effect of temperature and humidity on the air, but need to examine what it does to the ball itself. In addition to adding weight (as Yikes pointed out), increased humidity also reduces the elasticity of the ball, essentially allowing less energy to be transfered to it, which reduces the distance it travels.

Higher temperatures, on the other hand, cause elasticity (or the coefficient of restitution) to rise, leading to more distance.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:20 pm

Arlo wrote:Great stuff! ;-D

One point that's often overlooked is that you can't just look at the effect of temperature and humidity on the air, but need to examine what it does to the ball itself. In addition to adding weight (as Yikes pointed out), increased humidity also reduces the elasticity of the ball, essentially allowing less energy to be transfered to it, which reduces the distance it travels.

Higher temperatures, on the other hand, cause elasticity (or the coefficient of restitution) to rise, leading to more distance.

Absolutely, there really are a ton of factors and it's hard to look at any one of them in a vacuum. I believe the point you bring up is why they were humidfying (sp?) and freezing the balls at Coors. The "soggy" ball effect they were calling it at one point. Not sure if they still do that.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:54 pm

Nice call ARLO. Elevation means the air is less dense as you climb. It's why the PCL is a hitters paradise, alot of parks have elevation to them there. Cold air is dense, warm is less dense. Elevation and heat = travel, cold and sea level depress it.

Do hitters and pitchers like the cold? I doubt many do. Just watch Wrigley come June when the tempature increases. I don't have any numbers, but i would guess April isn't a great hr month, because of frigid temps.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pedantic » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:30 am

HOOTIE wrote:I don't have any numbers

Oh. My. God.

:-D
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers