How does warmer/cooler temperatures affect the game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How does warmer/cooler temperatures affect the game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How does warmer/cooler temperatures affect the game?

Postby Yikes » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:26 pm

I've been reading some snipets here and there, hope you guys can help fill me in on these knowledge gap:

1) Generally, do pitchers prefer warmer or cooler temperature to pitch in? I heard cold temperature make the ball tougher to grip for hurlers

2) Do balls travel farther in hotter climates? (e.g. hot air rises and carries the ball further)
:-?

I have a feeling Hootie has some answers to this in one of his spread sheets
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:58 pm

Not really sure about #1. Concerning #2, yes hotter air is less dense (ignoring air pressure and humidity variables) and the ball travels further because there's less aerodynamic drag.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yikes » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:07 am

Amazinz wrote:Not really sure about #1. Concerning #2, yes hotter air is less dense (ignoring air pressure and humidity variables) and the ball travels further because there's less aerodynamic drag.

but then concerning #2:
how do we explain the lighter/coor air where the Rockies play and how smaller air resistence allows the ball to travel farther?
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Liberty30 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:10 am

excellent questions.

I am very curious myself.

:-? :-? :-?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:14 am

Air temperature at Coors field has the same effect on a baseball as anywhere. Above I said ignoring air pressure and humidity variables which can play a big part in air density. That's the case at Coors. Coors is about a mile above sea level which means (had to look this up :-b) 15% less air density than at sea level. The low air pressure results in less drag.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:16 am

I'm no physicist, but the higher the elevation, the less gravity drag that exists. The further away you are from the core of the earth, gravity's effect is least. That's why there is no gravity in space, and why Colorado is known for it's long distances in sports.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pedantic » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:22 am

slomo007 wrote:I'm no physicist, but the higher the elevation, the less gravity drag that exists. The further away you are from the core of the earth, gravity's effect is least. That's why there is no gravity in space, and why Colorado is known for it's long distances in sports.

Lol. The force of gravity at one mile above sea level would be ((Radius of the Earth [in miles])^2/(Radius of the Earth [in miles] + 1 mile)^2)*(Gravitational force at sea level). Obviously, negligible effect.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Andy1234 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:30 am

Pedantic wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I'm no physicist, but the higher the elevation, the less gravity drag that exists. The further away you are from the core of the earth, gravity's effect is least. That's why there is no gravity in space, and why Colorado is known for it's long distances in sports.

Lol. The force of gravity at one mile above sea level would be ((Radius of the Earth [in miles])^2/(Radius of the Earth [in miles] + 1 mile)^2)*(Gravitational force at sea level). Obviously, negligible effect.
He said he wasn't a physicist
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:31 am

Yep, one instance where common sense doesn't pay off.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Green Monstah » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:31 am

I thought balls went farther in Coors because the air is less dense at higher elevations. Less air = less air resistance = balls travel farther in flight.
Green Monstah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers