Is Dusty Baker the Starting Pitcher Killer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Dusty Baker the Starting Pitcher Killer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:17 pm

nonames wrote:Why, is 131 pitches in April too many? CHRIST

Nothing at all is wrong with it....Go Dusty! Reds in 2004!
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ...

Postby DK » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:18 pm

thedon. wrote:If the Mets had a starter that could consistently go to the seventh -- or had a bullpen worth a sh!t -- we could see what your response would be.

Have fun in the cellar ;-D

Classy. Naturally, at the rate Dusty's going, the only seventh CHC starters are going to is the 7th room in a hospital ward.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:22 pm

Dusty Baker has a long history of abusing pitchers' arms. He's old-school and doesn't see any reason to change because he's been a successful manager doing it his way. It doesn't appear that he's interested in looking at any data that shows pitchers shouldn't be left in games to throw 125 pitches.

Last year, the average # of pitches thrown by a starting pitcher in the NL was 93.6. The Cubs averaged 103.4.

He's been criticized for years but won't change. If it turns out Prior's elbow is more damaged than has been shown yet, Baker might get more heat for his pitcher usage.

I like him as a manager, in general, because he seems to get a lot out of his teams, but he should let a good pitching coach take care of his pitching staffs. In Seattle, Lou Piniella was brutal with young pitchers early in his tenure with the M's. The pitching finally started coming around when Brian Price was named pitching coach and Lou let Price take care of the pitching end of things.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby thehat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:25 pm

Some Wood numbers...prior to today, Wood has gone beyond 105 pitches for a total of 67 IP in his career. 96 K's, 3.09 ERA and allowing a .160 avg.

He was dominant in this game, and while I agree that Dusty overuses his starters unnecessarily at times, I also thought leaving Wood in the game was the right move. Had it not been for some questionable umpiring (which will likely net Wood a fine following his blowup) he wins the game.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby cubsin04 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:28 pm

LOL Prior in a Met hat...

Uh, sure. Didn't Mo Vaughn's contract teach you guys better?? No, guess not....you wasted $6 million on Looper and another $35 million on Glavine.

I mean who'd rather spend $11.67 million/year on an aging Glavine than $11.25 million/year for a 27 year old Javier Vazquez???
cubsin04

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby matmat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:32 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Nothing at all is wrong with it....Go Dusty! Reds in 2004!

hahahahahahah

yeah, if dusty keeps this up the astros will run away with nl central.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby diesel99xx » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:45 pm

UMMMMMMM Yeah, I wasn't dissing any SP on the Cubs b/c they are all very very very good. But if that is all u can result to, when I diss your Arm murdering manager,by all means if it makes you feel better,then get it off your chest.
Let's Go Mets!
diesel99xx
College Coach
College Coach

Re: ....

Postby DK » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:58 pm

Didn't 1908 teach you anything? Talk about futility... from Tinker to Evers to Bartman.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby colt4523 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:08 pm

Dusty does not know how to manage his pitchers. He has a beefed up bullpen...how about he lets them get the job done. Especially this early in the season.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 81)

Postby ATECH » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:08 pm

I thought this was why the Cubs went out and got Hawkins, so they would have some faith in the bullpen when the game was on the line.
If You Always Do What You've Always Done,
Then You'll Always Have What You've Already Got.
ATECH
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers