Has anyone seen Santana this season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has anyone seen Santana this season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has anyone seen Santana this season?

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:13 pm

I haven't seen any of his outings this year and was wondering if there is reason to be concerned about him.

Is it a lot of bad luck? Is he getting hit hard? Has he lost any velocity? Or is it just a short slump because the hitters just got the best of him so far?

Any noticible differences this year compared to last season while watching him pitch?
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bedard » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:16 pm

You should be concerned any time a pitcher keeps getting taken yard and can barely make it to six innings. Very concerned.
Bedard

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Grouperman941 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:16 pm

I am wondering this, too. He is not getting the Ks, though he pitched well tonight, except for vs Juan Gone and Sweeney.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mtarail » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:20 pm

Grouperman941 wrote:I am wondering this, too. He is not getting the Ks, though he pitched well tonight, except for vs Juan Gone and Sweeney.

?? 6 k's in 6 innings and a 1.11 whip. Obviously the runs are a big concern, but it's too early to be too concerned. Just a bit frustrating for Santana owners.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Baseballer02 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:23 pm

mtarail wrote:
Grouperman941 wrote:I am wondering this, too. He is not getting the Ks, though he pitched well tonight, except for vs Juan Gone and Sweeney.

?? 6 k's in 6 innings and a 1.11 whip. Obviously the runs are a big concern, but it's too early to be too concerned. Just a bit frustrating for Santana owners.

Yeah, the K's and WHIP were pretty decent, just put out a couple fat pitches. Don't remember people freaking out when Halladay got rocked but K'd 9, but everyone is freakiin over Santana. Remember that he was pitching well his last start before he had forearm trouble.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Grouperman941 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:28 pm

I'm not 'freakin'' -- just wondering if he's a little flat -- like the original poster. Hard to evaluate stuff without seeing it live.

Thru the first 2 games, he had 4 Ks, which is why I said he hasn't been getting Ks.

Tonight was more of what we should expect. It sucks that he gets stuck with those last 2 ERs. Early hook, IMO.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:51 pm

So...there isn't any noticable differences between this year and last?

I am talking outside of the Stats, I could look at the box score and evaluate what could be the case, but I want opinions from someone that has seen Santana Pitch this year.

I know its still early but usually by watching a pitcher you get more of a warning of whats to come, than you do by reading box scores.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby ricky lee » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:59 pm

Well I had him on my team last year and watched most of his starts on MLB extra innings.I also just watched the game he pitched today on MLB TV!

The differences I notice are

1 Last year he was throwing about 3 or 4 MPH faster.

2 He seems to leave the ball up alot this year.Most likely this is because its early in the season.

3 He still doesnt have the endurance to go 8 innings.After the 5th inning he starts laboring.Last year this was the case too!
ricky lee

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Zito is God » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:00 am

Don't get me started on Santana! :-D

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby whitesox04champs » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:13 am

ricky lee wrote:Well I had him on my team last year and watched most of his starts on MLB extra innings.I also just watched the game he pitched today on MLB TV!

The differences I notice are

1 Last year he was throwing about 3 or 4 MPH faster.

2 He seems to leave the ball up alot this year.Most likely this is because its early in the season.

3 He still doesnt have the endurance to go 8 innings.After the 5th inning he starts laboring.Last year this was the case too!

Thanks..............

He struggled in the spring as well so hopefully he just needs to get in a groove................
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers