Will the real Jose Mesa please stand up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the real Jose Mesa please stand up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will the real Jose Mesa please stand up?

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:39 pm

SERIOUSLY

Where is the Joe Table that gave me heart attack after heart attack after heart attack at my young age.

JIn 2003 Jose Mesa nearly killed me. The guy sometimes got the job done (SOMETIMES). Most of the time he would load the bases with 1 out and then somehow get out of it or give up a grand slam.

Mesa was so bad and on advice from my doctor like everyone else I eventually droped his 6ERA ass.

The nightmares have stayed with me, which is why I REFUSED too tuch Joe Table in ANY of my leagues this year.

But WTF

4/4 save opps

o ERa

Wut the hell? Mean while Hoffman, Smoltz, and many other top closers are finding it impossible to get save opps or staying in the flow.

IMO soon the real Jose Mesa will return and do to his current owners wut he did to me in 2003.

Good luck Mesa owners 8-o
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:46 pm

I've been paying close attention to him. Trust me, he is the same Jose Mesa as last year. He's just been lucky so far.

Like today, he was just throwing slop. I'm talking about 90-91mph fastballs, 85 changups, and 77 curves that were way out of the strikezone. He did throw 95-96mph in other outings this season though. So it's pretty random what you're going to get.

Today, Ricky Gutierrez and Todd Zeile hit him hard. I mean RICKY GUTIERREZ AND TODD ZEILE FOR CHRISTS SAKES!!! They just hit them at fielders but it should have been 2 base hits easy.

Take a look at his game logs. He hasn't faced any tough hitters yet.
Last edited by bleach168 on Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:47 pm

he was very good before last year, I believe.

here are some numbers

2001 -- 71 IP 2.34 42 SV
2002 -- 74 IP 2.97 45 SV
2003 -- 61 IP 6.52 24 SV

something must have happened last year... maybe bowa was being an ass... maybe the philly crowd was too boystrous and bood him too early... who knows.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NZF » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:57 pm

matmat wrote:he was very good before last year, I believe.

here are some numbers

2001 -- 71 IP 2.34 42 SV
2002 -- 74 IP 2.97 45 SV
2003 -- 61 IP 6.52 24 SV

something must have happened last year... maybe bowa was being an ass... maybe the philly crowd was too boystrous and bood him too early... who knows.

Even in 2001 and 2002 he made saves much harder than they needed to be. His WHIP through those years was not flash but he got the big out when he needed to. Last year his knack of putting guys on base killed him.

I've only seen him pitch once this year and he was throwing 95mph and looked good.

I'm taking what he's getting for me at the moment but don't expect this standard to continue for too much longer.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bedard » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:18 pm

Mesa is fine...was a nice waiver pickup for lucky managers early this season. The Pirates create a lot of save opportunites which should make him a fine contributer for most fantasy staffs.
Bedard

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:20 pm

Sell high ;-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:02 am

I had a choice between him and Koch, good thing I took Mesa. I remmember his good ol' days with the 40 save seasons. Hes a good pitcher, just a little old, and doesn't show much enthusiasm for the game anymore. I am finally safely saying I believe in him (for the time beign anyways :-D )

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GSes » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:13 am

Zito is God wrote:I had a choice between him and Koch, good thing I took Mesa. I remmember his good ol' days with the 40 save seasons. Hes a good pitcher, just a little old, and doesn't show much enthusiasm for the game anymore. I am finally safely saying I believe in him (for the time beign anyways :-D )

Mesa or Koch?

ehh, talk aboyt picking your poison.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ramble2 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:25 am

thetongueofire wrote:Sell high ;-D

I traded him for Brian Roberts on the second day of the season. After the 3 day waiting period he was off my team. I still have more saves than everyone else.

I'm glad to see him doing well, because it sends a message to my league that I'll trade good players, er, um, trade players who play well, I mean.

Could I have done better than Roberts had I waited? Maybe, but I'm happy to have him off my #1 pitching staff ... :-°
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers