Jamie Moyer too old? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jamie Moyer too old?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jamie Moyer too old?

Postby Bloody Nipples » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:38 pm

Theguy is over 40, but has had solid numbers the past couple of seasons. This year, however, he is off to a bad start, with a 8.44 ERA and a 1.88 WHIP. Is age finally catching up to this age-defying pitcher? What numbers can I expect from him this year? How does he fit in the following list of players?

Affeldt
Willis
Woody Williams
Garland
Santana

Thanks for your help.
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:45 pm

I avoided him because : A. Seattle does not have many HR hitters anymore so less W's. and B. Hes VERY old and injury prone and his change up has got to be figuired out by now.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Jamie Moyer too old?

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:46 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:Theguy is over 40, but has had solid numbers the past couple of seasons. This year, however, he is off to a bad start, with a 8.44 ERA and a 1.88 WHIP. Is age finally catching up to this age-defying pitcher? What numbers can I expect from him this year? How does he fit in the following list of players?

Affeldt
Willis
Woody Williams
Garland
Santana

Thanks for your help.

i don't really know too much about garland, but I am fairly sure I'd rather have santana than moyer. I'd probably also want willis ahead of him.
williams and moyer are now about 80 years combined... i don't know which one I'd take.

if it were a keeper league I'd probably look at affeldt ahead of moyer too.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:46 pm

Before the season I only had Santana ahead of Moyer, but Willis has pitched like a super stud the first few games and might move him ahead of Moyer.

But Moyer being the soft tosser that he is, shouldn't succumb to age as quickly as others, which he has been doing, but I wouldn't write him off because of two bad starts. I think he should end up with similar numbers as the past few years.

17 Wins 3.30 ERA 1.20 WHIP 130 K
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby whitesox04champs » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:02 pm

Zito is God wrote:I avoided him because : A. Seattle does not have many HR hitters anymore so less W's. and B. Hes VERY old and injury prone and his change up has got to be figuired out by now.

that and because his stuff is terrible...........
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matrick » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:09 pm

whitesox04champs wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I avoided him because : A. Seattle does not have many HR hitters anymore so less W's. and B. Hes VERY old and injury prone and his change up has got to be figuired out by now.

that and because his stuff is terrible...........

Could the pitcher with the highest win % in the major leagues since 1996 really have terrible "stuff" ? 21 wins just last year with a 3yr average ERA of 3.33 Come on now.
matrick
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Zito is God » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:11 pm

I don't think he has terrible stuff, I just think he uses his great changeup too much and hitters could have figuired him out by now.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby whitesox04champs » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:17 pm

Zito is God wrote:I don't think he has terrible stuff, I just think he uses his great changeup too much and hitters could have figuired him out by now.

he has terrible stuff...........

He has lived purely on his control and changeup..........
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matrick » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:33 pm

whitesox04champs wrote:
Zito is God wrote:I don't think he has terrible stuff, I just think he uses his great changeup too much and hitters could have figuired him out by now.

What's the point? Mariano Rivera has lived on his cutter. Does he not have good stuff? Moyer has averaged 18 wins the last three years by the way.
matrick
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby whitesox04champs » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:58 pm

matrick wrote:
whitesox04champs wrote:

What's the point? Mariano Rivera has lived on his cutter. Does he not have good stuff? Moyer has averaged 18 wins the last three years by the way.

LOL

Thatsa whole different story.........

Rivera has one of the best pitches in HISTORY and he throws mid 90's with solid secondary pitches.........he also has solid control...........
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers