MLB Draft Steal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB Draft Steal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB Draft Steal

Postby BabyBoomer » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:53 pm

I was checking out where all the best fantasy players were drafted (MLB Drafting not fantasy) and it seemed very strange:

Baseball Steals

Pujols 13th Round 8-o
Soriano None
Delgado None
B. Boone 5th Round
Magglio None
Bagwell 4th Round
Thome 13th Round
Piazza 62 Round 8-o
Sexson 24th Round
Vlad None
Garret Anderson 4th Round
Renteria None
Lee None
Sosa None
Screw you guys, I'm going going home!
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 180
Joined: 4 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetruth » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:54 pm

the thing is dominican players are not in the draft.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 356
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: massachusetts

Postby BabyBoomer » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:56 pm

They are not drafted but any team could try to pick them up. It is still considered a "steal"
Last edited by BabyBoomer on Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screw you guys, I'm going going home!
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 180
Joined: 4 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:57 pm

And Soriano played in Japan before he ever came to the States. Piazza is baseball's poster child for working hard paying off. ;-)
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby mtarail » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:01 pm

Foreign players aren't drafted but I lived in the Dominican Republic and I can tell you that there is intense competition to sign players. Every team scouts players in most of the country and quite a few major league teams have year-round training compounds that players work out in, from which they will be signed to contracts with various terms depending on the upside the team finds in the player. So no, most of the foreign players aren't steals. Especially now, as major league baseball has become increasingly dominated by Caribbean-area players.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2433
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the 3B line stands at TEP

Postby fezzik » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:01 pm

Amazinz wrote:And Soriano played in Japan before he ever came to the States. Piazza is baseball's poster child for working hard paying off. ;-)


ya, but Piazza would never have been drafted if his family and Lasorda weren't close...he was drafted as a personal favor...guess it worked out for them both. I agree his hard work (once he was in the minors) got him where he dreamed of going, but he never would have had the chance if it wasn't for his family connections to Dodger management.
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:05 pm

fezzik wrote:
Amazinz wrote:And Soriano played in Japan before he ever came to the States. Piazza is baseball's poster child for working hard paying off. ;-)


ya, but Piazza would never have been drafted if his family and Lasorda weren't close...he was drafted as a personal favor...guess it worked out for them both. I agree his hard work (once he was in the minors) got him where he dreamed of going, but he never would have had the chance if it wasn't for his family connections to Dodger management.


Maybe your right but that's a lot of speculation. I have to believe that a man able to rise from a 62nd round pick to the best hitting Catcher in the history of baseball would have found a way, regardless. "Where there's a will there's a way."
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby mtarail » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:14 pm

There are a lot of interesting little stories like that.

Maggs had a bad 1st tryout and a scout looked at Maggs again as a favor to Mora. (Good choice)

I also seem to remember some story about Vlad. He was late for his tryout and the scout was about to leave. The guy who took Vlad out to the ballpark on his motorcycle got a big bonus from the Spo's after the tryout.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2433
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the 3B line stands at TEP

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:14 pm

Something we often overlook here at the Cafe is something that all of us who have played sports know.

No matter what your potential is, our how good your expected to be or in many cases how good your not expected to be (PIAZZA)

HARD WORK PAYS OFF!

This is why guys who come out of no where can sometimes be legit and for real b/c they have put the work in and they have gotten a lot better.

Just sometimes here at the cafe we pass of anyone who is playing well if they are not a big time prospect or under the age of 25.

Hard work pays off no matter who you are.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2498
Joined: 9 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Shadows

Postby fezzik » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:23 pm

Amazinz wrote:
fezzik wrote:
Amazinz wrote:And Soriano played in Japan before he ever came to the States. Piazza is baseball's poster child for working hard paying off. ;-)


ya, but Piazza would never have been drafted if his family and Lasorda weren't close...he was drafted as a personal favor...guess it worked out for them both. I agree his hard work (once he was in the minors) got him where he dreamed of going, but he never would have had the chance if it wasn't for his family connections to Dodger management.


Maybe your right but that's a lot of speculation. I have to believe that a man able to rise from a 62nd round pick to the best hitting Catcher in the history of baseball would have found a way, regardless. "Where there's a will there's a way."


you're right. it's pure speculation. I should have wrote that he "may have never had the chance." He certainly proved what he could do in the minors and the bigs. FYI, I am a Dodger fan and like Piazza. I was just throwing out a little anecdote for those who may not have known. He's always been a hard worker...I remember him squeezing his little hand-exerciser in the dugout between innings to build up his hand strength....even though they were already absurdly strong. I think he has the strongest hands in baseball (more speculation ;-) ). I remember his teammates (on the Dodgers) saying that nobody could even squeeze the thing once, but he would do sets at a time. Scary.
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Sep. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(9:10 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact