THE CURSE?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

THE CURSE?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do You Believe in the Curse of the Red Sox?

I Do.
54%
Its a load of Crap!
46%

Total votes : 46

Re: The Curse

Postby frog99 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:26 pm

Ry-Guy wrote:I'll believe there is no curse when I see the Red Sox or the Cubs raise a World Series trophy in the air; until then.......

LONG LIVE THE CURSE!

The Phillies didn't win a World Series till 1980. Were they cursed?
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:48 pm

No they just sucked. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LCBOY » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:56 pm

OK, for you "curse" conspiracy theorists. Can you explain how the curse came about. Usually, a curse is something that is place on someone or something by another person. Who "cursed" the Red Sox? And how come no one talks about a curse on the follwing teams?

White Sox (last World series win 1917)
Cleveland Indians (last Word Series win 1948)
SF Giants (my favorite team!, I despise you Scott Spiezio, last World Series win 1954)
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jeffc_76 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:02 pm

hmmm, White Sox could very well be cursed after the Black Sox scandall. Historically cheap management is probably the real reason though.

Indians have just had some REALLY bad teams over the years. They even made a couple movies about 'em :-D

The Giants not winning for 50 years isn't THAT terrible. At least there are some people alive today that saw it happen. They've got a ways to go to catch up with the Cubs' almost 100 years of futility.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby waffle_prince » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:06 pm

The White Sox drought has been seriously overlooked compared to the Red Sox and Cubs curse hype. Also, I think that Cubs curse is seriously lame. A goat? Give me a break. While the Bartman scandal was a little out of control, it was certainly a much better story than that goat garbage.
"Funny. You like samurai swords . . . I like baseball."
waffle_prince
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:12 pm

Nobody talks about the White Sox, Indians or Giants because there is no story behind them. They just have sucked for many years. The Red Sox on the other hand have had great great teams and just freaky crap happens to them time and time again. I buy the Redsox curse much more than the Cubs. The Cubs really just have had horrible teams but haven't had meltdowns like Boston.

Maybe the curse is real, maybe not. But it is ridiculous if you look at their history. They sell the greatest baseball player who ever lived to the Yankees. Red Sox championships since? 0. Yankees? 26. Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner, Aaron Boone....how many ridiculous meltdowns can you have and just call it bad luck? I never used to believe in it but honestly I'm starting to believe there is something to it.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby waffle_prince » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:23 pm

Well, I think the Black Sox scandal certainly gives the White Sox a story. However, you're right that Boston gets curse hype because they've been very good many times and gotten screwed by fate. The hype surrounding their curse has developed as a need to explain what has happened to their excellent teams. Without great teams over the years, no curse hype develops.

Except in the case of the Cubs, apparently. I really don't get why they're supposed to have a curse.
"Funny. You like samurai swords . . . I like baseball."
waffle_prince
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LCBOY » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:35 pm

ajgdrummer7 wrote:Nobody talks about the White Sox, Indians or Giants because there is no story behind them. They just have sucked for many years. The Red Sox on the other hand have had great great teams and just freaky crap happens to them time and time again. I buy the Redsox curse much more than the Cubs. The Cubs really just have had horrible teams but haven't had meltdowns like Boston.

How many great Red Sox teams have there been since 1918? Since 1918, they have won exactly 4 AL pennants.

That's not exactly a ton of pennant winners. Since 1954 the Giants have won three pennants

And that doesn't include two 100 win teams (1993 and 2003). The Red Sox story is not a story at all. It's only a story to the Red Sox nation in the Northeast...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby some guy » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:02 pm

The only people who allow the curse nonsense to survive is the NAtional media. I know all the local guys i hear talk about it think the curse is a HUGE joke.
some guy

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:09 pm

ajgdrummer7 wrote:Nobody talks about the White Sox, Indians or Giants because there is no story behind them. They just have sucked for many years. The Red Sox on the other hand have had great great teams and just freaky crap happens to them time and time again. I buy the Redsox curse much more than the Cubs. The Cubs really just have had horrible teams but haven't had meltdowns like Boston.

Maybe the curse is real, maybe not. But it is ridiculous if you look at their history. They sell the greatest baseball player who ever lived to the Yankees. Red Sox championships since? 0. Yankees? 26. Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner, Aaron Boone....how many ridiculous meltdowns can you have and just call it bad luck? I never used to believe in it but honestly I'm starting to believe there is something to it.

No meltdowns for the cubs then eh? How about 1969, 1984, or 2003? Those are some of the most embarrasing meltdowns in baseball history. And guess where Bill Buckner played before the Red Sox? Yep, the cubs. Dont try and tell me the Cubs havent had meltdowns. Plus, why are you even in this thread you spoiled Yankees fan? :-D
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers