Sox Yankees at it again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sox Yankees at it again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sox Yankees at it again

Postby redsox588 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:11 pm

Im sick of all this talk about how the Yankee lineup is so much stronger then the redsox and is going to crush them all season. Has anyone ever heard that good pitching beats good hitting. Look at last years world series, the yankees had a far superior lineup to the Marlins with much more experience and depth, but the Marlins pitching came out victorious. I hope to see the same thing when the Yankees and Red Sox square off close to 20 times this year. Go Red Sox
redsox588
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 293
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New York

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:15 pm

Call me crazy, but I'd take:

Mussina, Vazquez, Brown and Contreras over Pedro, Schilling, Lowe and Wakefield.

And no, I'm not a Yankee fan...just an innocent bystander.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jeffc_76 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:17 pm

Don't know where you're hearing that the Yankees will bury the Sox. A lot of the so-called experts are predicting Boston to win the division this year because their starting pitching is supposedly better. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the series this weekend and next. But unless one team manages to win 6 or 7 games, all the bragging and bold predictions that follow will be very premature. It's a long season and hopefully when it's all said and done, the curse will live on for another year. :-)
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 663
Joined: 1 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NY

Postby jpbusta » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:18 pm

slomo007 wrote:Call me crazy, but I'd take:

Mussina, Vazquez, Brown and Contreras over Pedro, Schilling, Lowe and Wakefield.

And no, I'm not a Yankee fan...just an innocent bystander.


I guess I'm crazy too. ;-D
Image
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2988
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: West Lafayette

Re: Sox Yankees at it again

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:19 pm

redsox588 wrote:Im sick of all this talk about how the Yankee lineup is so much stronger then the redsox and is going to crush them all season. Has anyone ever heard that good pitching beats good hitting. Look at last years world series, the yankees had a far superior lineup to the Marlins with much more experience and depth, but the Marlins pitching came out victorious. I hope to see the same thing when the Yankees and Red Sox square off close to 20 times this year. Go Red Sox

Give me a break. pedro is hurt, schilling is prone to giving up gopher balls and now he is in an AL park so is going to be 8/9 ths of the pitcher that he was... derek lowe might be able to go back to his 2002 form... bronson arroyo got lit up like a candle and wakefield is good when he is good but is REALLY bad when he is bad.... BHKim hasn't thrown a pitch yet this season and he is a headcase when it comes to the yankees.

mussina has also struggled, but his stuff looked good, brown has been lights out (against TB, no less) . Vazquez has pitched well... contreras and depaula havn't been that great, but contreras will probably turn it around. doubt depaula will . . . yankees have the pitching and the bullpen to match boston, if not beat them.

besides, this message belongs in a different forum
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4120
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: North cross down

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:20 pm

Then, if you factor in the Yankees MAMMOTH lineup, the game's most clutch closer, and a MUCH improved bullpen....I don't think the Sox stand a chance this year. I don't understand why everyone loves them this year so much, they're not a whole lot better than last year, they gained Schilling, but Pedro isn't the same...they need him to recover badly if they want any shot at the WS.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jeffc_76 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:21 pm

slomo007 wrote:Call me crazy, but I'd take:

Mussina, Vazquez, Brown and Contreras over Pedro, Schilling, Lowe and Wakefield.

And no, I'm not a Yankee fan...just an innocent bystander.


Lieber could play an important role too especially if one of those gets hurt for a stretch. I read he had a nice start in extended spring training and is coming along well. Fastball topped out around 92mph and he reported no pain or dicomfort in his groin or "Tommy Johned" arm. The 1-2 punch of Schilling Pedro (yes I'm definitely more afraid of Schilling than Pedro) scares me but I like our overall rotation better. Just glad we can't play them in the 5 game divisional series.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 663
Joined: 1 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NY

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:25 pm

jeffc_76 wrote:Lieber could play an important role too especially if one of those gets hurt for a stretch. I read he had a nice start in extended spring training and is coming along well. Fastball topped out around 92mph and he reported no pain or dicomfort in his groin or "Tommy Johned" arm. The 1-2 punch of Schilling Pedro (yes I'm definitely more afraid of Schilling than Pedro) scares me but I like our overall rotation better. Just gald we can't play them in the 5 game divisional series.


what scares me is that once pedro figures out that he doesn't quite have it he'll start throwing at batters more... I mean, he tried to alter the NY lineup last year a few times by throwing at people.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4120
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: North cross down

Postby ssuciu » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:27 pm

Who really cares, can we just enjoy the games. Arguments concerning the Red Sox and Yankees are like preaching about pro choice in the vatican.... useless and a waste of time!!
ssuciu
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 100
Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Boston

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:28 pm

ssuciu wrote:Who really cares, can we just enjoy the games. Arguments concerning the Red Sox and Yankees are like preaching about pro choice in the vatican.... useless and a waste of time!!


Naturally, someone from Boston would be the one who makes this post.... :*)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Sep. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(9:10 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact