is marte worth adding - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

is marte worth adding

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

is marte worth adding

Postby george » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:31 pm

will Marte become the white sox closer or at least get enough save chances to be worth picking up.
george

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby tareed1979 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:35 pm

who would you have to drop
tareed1979
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbones733 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:36 pm

It's tough to say How Guillen will go about the closer situation. As of now Marte us the only reliable lefty i the pen. Thats why Ozzis is hesistant to make him the closer. He is suited better for them as a setup man. They are giving Koch every oppurtunity but he probably will lose it. If you are really desperate for saves and have the room add him. My league counts holds so he is very valuable
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bedard » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:56 pm

He's not worth adding on the grounds that he may eventually take over the closer job. You can just add him when he does. He is worth adding if you need a low era and whip reliever on your staff (ie, if your bench is schlock and you want someone who will actually contribute).
Bedard

Postby ZAZ » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:12 pm

I was just about to post asking who will be the closer for the CWS moving forward after Marte's 2 scoreless innings for the win yesterday. Koch has blown it already if I was the manager (why I'm not I have no idea though). Picking up Marte when he becomes the closer is not that great of advice since you have to compete with other members to make that move when and if it's officially announced. Do you have time to sit on your league page 24/7?

Anyway, I have him now since a closer went on the DL and there were few other starter or closer options available. I have been mad that he's not been used enough the past two weeks. After yesterday, he deserves more time.
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rippz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:08 pm

Would any of you drop Valvarde for Marte? Bothe of them are young , can become closers, have high era to begin season....

My league counts holds....
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bedard » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:09 pm

Nah, you just pick him up when and if he starts closing. If you check scores frequently, and I'd assume that a user of this site does, just grab the fag once he gets a save. Right away. Stashing a MR that may or may not become a closer on your bench is a surefire way to limit your own potential success on the waiver wire. Thats a spot that should either be free for picking up guys who ACTUALLY contribute or used on a player that actually contributes on your team. As long as your bench isn't complete ass and other managers havent picked the free agent pool completely clean, there is bound to be someone better out there. But if you need the era and whip (ie, if Marte will be contributing to your squad), then grab him.
Bedard

Postby canibus » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:41 pm

Bedard wrote:just grab the fag once he gets a save.

I think you have to take up the ass to be...gay

This site is about baseball, you idiot.

As for Marte, He is a good pickup but moreso in holds leagues. I would only grab him now if you can afford the bench spot. Of all the non-closers to be on my bench though, he tops the list.
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers