Fantasy baseball... better than fantasy football? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy baseball... better than fantasy football?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:01 pm

Spartans Rule wrote:
giants8307 wrote:Interesting. So RB's would be the first picks off the board then if they are scarce and big scorers?

In my most competitive draft last year 21 of the first 24 picks were RBs. Because most NFL teams play one running back and a fullback used strictly for blocking, but fantasy teams have 2 running back spots to fill, the scarcity is incredible.

This is why I prefer fantasy baseball - different strategies can work. You can go for hitting over pitching, speed over power, thin positions over big bats, closers over starters, whatever. Lots of different ways to build a winner. In a good fantasy football league, you really have minimal choices and the type of team you get is pretty much dictated by draft position.

I agree...last year in my league, I had the last draft pick...and obviously all of the top RBs were gone...so I tried a strategy that would work in fantasy baseball. I drafted the top 2 players at the other positions (QB and WR) in Donovan McNabb and Marvin Harrison....I even got Jeremy Shockey as my TE in round 3. It really doesn't get much better than that. I got some mid-level RBs later in the draft. What place did I get you're wondering? 8th out of 10. It was terrible and absolutely no fun and a waste of $50, just b/c my draft position sucked. I don't think I'm going to play again this year.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants8307 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:09 pm

21 out of the first 24 were RB's??? That's a little rediculous. I would imagine you would just move down the board picking the best RB available. I also can't believe slomo got harrison and mcnabb and was in 8th place. Maybe they should try to tweak the scoring system.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:11 pm

giants8307 wrote:21 out of the first 24 were RB's??? That's a little rediculous. I would imagine you would just move down the board picking the best RB available. I also can't believe slomo got harrison and mcnabb and was in 8th place. Maybe they should try to tweak the scoring system.

My other WR was Hines Ward!

It's weird b/c before I played fantasy baseball, I thought fantasy football was actually fun. If you want to enjoy fantasy football, don't ever start fantasy baseball...but it's probably too late for most of us here, afterall it's a fantasy baseball forum.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Dice » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:30 pm

I decided at the start not to do Fantasy Football. I mean, the game doesn't even account for 70% of the rosters of a football team. It's so superficial and shallow, as compared ot Fantasy Baseball, which really makes it easy to pretend you're actually managing a team.

However, Madden Football rules all.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:25 pm

Hey guys, I just want to say I LOVE fanatsy football!!! I also LOVE Fantasy Baseball!!

The first couple years I play ed Football were kind of broing with the standard scoring systems. 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, TE, K, Def. It doesn't put much emphasis on the most important position, QB. So I started a 10 team keeper league which has these positions, 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 2 WR, TE, K, Def, 2 DL, 2 DBs, 1 def. flex. This made it much more interesting and changed the draft stategy quite a bit. RBs that were questionable at the beginning of the year went later than they normally would have (A. Green, J. Lewis, S. Davis all went between rounds 3-5). It made it so picking a QB first round wasn't that bad an idea. The first 8 picks were RBs but after that it was a crap shoot. I got Duece at the 8 pick so I was happy. McNabb and Vick were picked 9-10. Culpepper and Manning went 2nd round. Harrison and Moss and TO all went second round as well. It was alot more fun. I'd suggest you guys try it.

And you really have to pay attention to QBs more than normal. I came out of the draft with Warner and Collins as my QBs. I changed that though and ended up with Bulgar, Kitna and Brooks. Finished second and it was a great season. Can't wait for the rookie draft in May!!
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jaroche24 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:45 pm

Check out Fantasy Football at scoresheet.com. If you don't like the normal 1 QB, 1 RB, RB/WR, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D and you don't like the normal scoring system then Scoresheet should do the trick.

Here's a link to my league:

http://www.scoresheet.com/FB_WWW/NFL_O_Neal.htm

It is much more complicated than regular Fantasy Football (although I play and enjoy both).

I do like Fantasy Baseball more for the aforementioned reasons mentioned in other posts.

BTW My team is Team #9.
Fantasy Baseball is GOOD for the game. Everyday is exciting; it makes following baseball a blast!
jaroche24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stomperrob » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:47 pm

I started with fantasy football 'cause I'm a big NFL fan - it's definitely less labor intensive than fantasy baseball and was a good way to learn. I like fantasy hockey too but not fantasy basketball.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Trazcon » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:26 pm

I "played" virtual gm on nba.com for 3 or 4 years, but could never play it fo longet than a month. Tried yahoo's and it sucked also. The old smallword one was a lot better. As for football, it's pretty boring, like some of you one person can basically win the whole thing for you.
Trazcon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mtarail » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:33 pm

fantasy football is fun, but I'd agree with the guy who looked at it as checkers (FB) to chess (BB). It's a lot of fun to watch the games on Sunday and see how your guys do, but fantasy baseball is much more complicated. Plus, in a lot of lfootball eagues the winner is gonna be the guy who has 2 or 3 good running backs who manage to stay healthy all year.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Oat Soda » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:25 pm

mtarail wrote:Plus, in a lot of lfootball eagues the winner is gonna be the guy who has 2 or 3 good running backs who manage to stay healthy all year.

True. I had Terrell Davis in '98 and he practically carried my team to first place all by himself.

The first FBB league I got in was a public one and was boring because people lost interest by July. I refused to play again until I was invited to join a keeper league that had been running for years. Having keepers seems to keep owners interested all year (not to mention we play for some pretty big bucks split among the top 5 teams at the end of the year).

Anyway, spread over six months vs. 17 weeks makes FBB much more fun to me.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers