Fantasy baseball... better than fantasy football? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy baseball... better than fantasy football?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy baseball... better than fantasy football?

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:03 am

I know this is purely a matter of opinion, and that I'm bound to get a biased response given that I'm posting in a fantasy baseball forum. But I'm new to fantasy baseball this year (having played fantasy basketball and football and even NASCAR, it was finally time to give baseball a try).

I'm a bigger fan of (reality) football, but I have to say, there are more wrinkles in fantasy baseball which make it more challenging for sure. Add the fact that there are games every day (not once a week), including games in the middle of the day, and fantasy baseball makes a very strong case as the superior game.

I'm guessing most of you also play fantasy football (probably not NASCAR). Thoughts?
mikey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby perlick29 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:14 am

Yes, my thoughts are that you are correct in assuming that fbb is better. Mainly these thoughts are selfish because I love real football as well and that might be why in the past three years I have finished dead last but won my money baseball leagues each of the last 3. Last year I put together two great starting QB's. Perhaps you've heard of them: Rich Gannon and and Drew Bledsoe!!! Wow I was dead from week 1.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fishingmn » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:14 am

I played Fantasy Football for 15 years before dropping it last year.

Fantasy Football advantages -

- Easier to do well since there are fewer positions to worry about and there are dozens of cheat sheets out to help rate players (this is actually what drove me away - I couldn't get an advantage anymore by outworking my fellow owners)
- Season is shorter - makes it easier for owners to stay with it the whole year. This is the main issue with Fantasy Baseball (in my short experience) is that a large number of owners lose interest by the summer.
- Much more information out there to get access to
- You've actually heard of most of the players on everyone's team even if you are a casual fan.
- Less work to do during the week for a casual fan so they don't have to devote a lot of time to it.
- It's America's favorite sport so it's easy to find friends to participate.

Fantasy Baseball advantages -

- Requires a lot more strategy
- Requires a lot more knowledge across a wide spectrum of players which forces you to get to know lots about team rosters
- If you put in some effort to prepare & then stay with it throughout the year there's a high probability you will do well. This is totally different from Fantasy Football where you can just have 1-2 injuries and be screwed. You also get the lucky owner who drafts Priest Holmes and ends up beating every other team because of 1-2 players - not through any hard work of playing well along the way.
- Roto, H2H, Points - you have more variety in scoring options

I'm sure others could add more.
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Fantasy Football vs Baseball

Postby recmccl » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:34 am

I've been playing fantasy football for 6 years. This is my first in baseball. Fantasy Baseball is a LOT more challenging.
recmccl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:40 am

good stuff fishingmn.

solid points across the board.

It is hard to say one is better because as you can see they are each attractive in their own way.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:52 am

Football is pretty much fun but Baseball is just an insane amount of fun. I had only followed baseball haphazardly for a number of years but did a league on a whim last year and am totally hooked!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby sigtaulefty » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:16 am

I think the interest level makes my football league more competitive than my baseball league.

By June, if a team owner isn't in first place they'll lose interest and fizzle out. It's frustrating having a 10 team league with 5 active owners. I have about 14 in my football league with about 11 active owners.

I'm more of a baseball fan because there is more strategy to use, but I've been playing FFB two more seasons.
[b]"I'd like the thank the good lord for making me a Yankee"[/b] - Joe DiMaggio
sigtaulefty
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:20 am

I've only played FBB, so I can't say for sure, but FFB sure sounds boring. :*) One thing I know for sure is fantasy basketball definitely is boring. :-/
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby wagons » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:24 am

When it comes to stats, Fantasy Foootball is a mere "pimple on the arse" when it comes to Fantasy Baseball.
wagons

Friendliness: %

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:28 am

Pedantic wrote:I've only played FBB, so I can't say for sure, but FFB sure sounds boring. :*) One thing I know for sure is fantasy basketball definitely is boring. :-/

good call on that fantasy basketball - what a joke. Same thing with hockey. I played them both this yr and did well, but it was the last time.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers