I gave: Wood and Vasquez
I got: RJ and Marquis

My Staff now: RJ, Schilling, Clemens, Astacio, Baez, Marquis, Estes, R. Soriano
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Thu May 30, 2002 7:10 pm

Two thumbs up. All four of these guys are excellent, obviously, and I'm very high on both Wood and Vazquez, but the addition of the Big Unit should make your rotation unstoppable. The only thing you have to worry about is injury, but you can't pass up a deal like this. Nice!

;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mm92280 » Thu May 30, 2002 7:35 pm

Wood's inconsistency is what really did this deal. I was encouraged by his start against Houston, but, after he didnt follow it up with another good outing today, then it was time for him to go.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Thu May 30, 2002 8:45 pm

I can't believe other people in your league didn't protest that trade. Your pitching staff is ridiculously awesome now.
In terms of fairness, I think you got way more than the other guy. You got 2 pitchers on pennant winning teams that will rack up a lot of wins, while he got 2 pitchers on not so good teams.
I think you did pretty well for yourself. Personally, if I were the other guy, I wouldn't have done that trade.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mm92280 » Thu May 30, 2002 9:16 pm

it hasnt gone through yet, it has to go through the 2 day review period. So far one protest, the protester admitted it was fair and admitted the only reason he was protesting was that he didnt want RJ and Schilling on the same team. Of course, I think thats loser like and that contesting trades should only be done in cases of collusion, or in way lopsided deals, but my league has been protest happy from the start.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Fri May 31, 2002 11:47 am

I disagree with the ananymous poster above - I see no reason whatsoever to veto this deal. mm92280's pitching staff is excellent both with and without this trade, but that has nothing to do with whether this deal should be protested. Is there cheating involved here? No. Can arguments be made in favor of both sides of the deal? Sure. I always find it rather irritating when an owner protests, and then says that it was only to keep a team from getting a certain player; hope your commish allows this trade to stand.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mm92280 » Fri May 31, 2002 12:09 pm

well, its Sandbox, so the commish is non existent at this point. Its all up to the league, I believe it will go through.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby timkell » Fri May 31, 2002 4:46 pm

I agree with the anonymous poster that I would not have made this deal if I were the other guy, but I definitely would not protest it if I was in the league. I would just ask the other guy what he was thinking.

I keep saying it here, but there are a handful of players you cannot giveup without getting one of the others. There are exceptions, of course, but to give up RJ and not get something similar back just doesn't make sense to me. Wood is great, but the Cubs are not as good as the D'backs. Even if they pitch equally well, RJ will bring more wins. Of course, RJ will pitch much better, so it makes it more lopsided.

I think it's a fair trade. You're not screwing the other guy at all, but I don't see why the other guy pulled the trigger. It doesn't seem to make him better in any way. It doesn't make you much better either, but you were real good before, and now you have a lot more security, given the injury histories involved and the fact that RJ is THE MAN.

Learning curve for the other guy, and victory for you!

I guess closers are worthless in your league?
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers