Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

12 Team H2H 7 category Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12 Team H2H 7 category Keeper

Postby JeffBlauser4 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:47 pm

I just completed a draft for a league I just joined. A friend asked me if I would take over for one of the owners that was leaving. It is a 12 team H2H format Categories: R, HR, RBI, TB, SB, K, Avg. Pitching: SV/HD, K, W, L, ERA, QS, WHIP

Its 10 Keepers, I made a move in the offseason to acquire Harper. I had a strong core of players, but being required to keep 10 made it tough to have quality depth. My roster is below keepers are indicated.

C: Posey (K)
1b: Freddie Freeman (K)
2b: LeMahuie (K)
3b: Moustakus
SS: Segura
MI: Josh Harrison
CI: Texeira (K)
OF: Harper (K)
OF: Trout (K)
OF: Braun
OF: Dexter Fowler
OF: Khris Davis
U: Kiermaier
U: Jonathon Villar
U: Marcus Semien
Be: Cory Spangenber
Be: CJ Cron
Be: Chris Carter
Be: Domingo Santana
Be: Jarrod Dyson
Be: Austin Jackson

P: Gerrit Cole (K)
P: Danny Salazar (K)
P: Tyson Ross (K)
P: Samardzija
P: Scott Kazmir
P: Tajuan Walker
P: Rosenthal (K)
P: Sergio Romo
P: JJ Hoover
Be: Shields
Be: Jaime Garcia
Be: Grilli

I Think I am pretty weak with my IF depth. I had to attend a wedding and the last 9 rounds were autodrafted so I am not carrying another catcher. Any thoughts on who might be available as a decent backup? My pitching staff is ok. I dont hate and it dont love it. I think my bullpen is awful though, I would love to hear some feedback on how you rate this team as a whole and what you would do to improve it. Post a link to yours and I will review yours as well.
JeffBlauser4
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 Team H2H 7 category Keeper

Postby jamesfredette » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:12 pm

I would say you really took the stars and scrubs approach this year, as IMO you dont have any elite players outside Posey, Trout, Harper, and Cole(but those are good ones to have if thats it obv) Your infield should be league average or worse would be my guess, while your outfield is on the opposite end of that spectrum(league average, but most likely much better). You have a ton of UTL options so its should be easy to mix and match to get the specific categories you need at the end of each week. Your staff isnt terrible, but its not great. Cole is a great anchor, but then it drops off. I took Salazaar as my third SP in a 14 team earlier this week and while he gets the Ks, he also gives up bombs. The next 4 SPs, Ross to Walker, are all risky in their own ways. Ross, control has always been too poor for my liking. Samardzija, 2014 with the cubs was awesome, but I havent seen that guy since. Kazmir, the guys throwing 88MPH fastballs at ST this year. I think hell turn it up to start the season, but its never a promising sign. Walker, drafted him last year and ate his TERRIBLE first 6 starts(ERA of like 9 i think), then dropped him and watched others enjoy his great streak. So Walker carries some risk too but if he puts it all together this year, hell be a steal. Your bullpen is OK, not great. Because its SVs+HDs, you have a lot more options to choose from for effective relievers. Rosenthal is great, duh. Romo should be fine. Hoover, ehh, but ok. Grilli, you better hope he wins the job from viszciano but still should get HDs regardless. My draft was the same way(SV+HD) so instead of all my closers in the middle rounds, I took Betances in the middle, then Watson, Uehara, and Soria very late. They are gonna do the same as elite relievers(Watson 40+ HDs) with maybe a better ERA and WHIP. NOW, If I were you and wanted to improve, I would turn around and move harper or trout for an elite 1B/3B. Probably 3B because Freeman could be great if hes not still hurt in the wrist(who knows if he is, they tend to linger). Id look for an Arenado/Machado deal, maybe Goldy if you can swing it and throw Freeman in UTL. I just prefer to have the best infield I can because there are always OF call-ups or guys you can stream for great numbers for a month while they are hot or whatever. Long analysis, but I enjoyed. Check mine if youd like viewtopic.php?t=494009
jamesfredette
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 Team H2H 7 category Keeper

Postby pjtroy34 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:30 pm

I think your pitching staff is fine in terms of starters. Relievers come and go so you should be able to fix that with active management. I'd consider rostering a dominant setup man instead of Jaime Garcia...7th inning guys and such.

Obviously your outfield is more than fine...especially if Domingo produces.
Yes, your infield is weak. Tough to say who to trade and who to trade for. I'd ride it out awhile and see what happens. You could always be proactive and try to roster some minor leaguers if it is allowed...Orlando Arcia, Trea Turner, etc.

Backup catcher? Tough to say. Is Realmuto owned?
C - Contreras
1 - Votto
2 - Cano
3 - Rendon
S - Machado
O - Betts,Marte,Springer,Hanley
U - C. Santana
B - Pederson,Napoli,Meadows

S - Cueto, Pomeranz, Duffy, Mauricio Cabrera
P - Maurer
R - Chapman, Osuna
B - Wacha, Bauer, Skaggs, Glasnow