A reliever strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A reliever strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A reliever strategy

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:24 pm

Right now I am doing pretty well in my league except that I am struggling in K's, ERA, WHIP, and K/BB. Would it be a good strategy, if i have the roster space, to get three set-up guys (K-ROD, Lidge, Mota) and use them when I don't have a starter going? I know that it won't make that much of a difference but I'm looking for some kind of way to boost those cat's.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby great gretzky » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:37 pm

don't kid yourself that it won't make ANY difference. add up the innings pitched vs stats for say lidge and mota last year. it can effect it.

but bear in mind that if you do that, you miss out on hitting. those roster spots could be put to better use at this stage of the game. that is something you do after you know how the season is shaping up.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:44 pm

We have a pretty big roster in my league. (29 total spots not including DL, 8 bench spots total, we start 3 SP, 3 RP, and 3 P) Even with a roster that is this size should I still wait to do this?

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:05 pm

Any other opinions on this possible strategy?

Postby Base Ballpickers » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:16 pm

with that many pitching spots, you could just wait until after all-star break to get your innings in. I'd focus on hitting for the first half and only pitch the obvious mismatches like a yanks pitcher verses TB hitting....oops, I'm sorry. TB has been KILLING the yanks!!!! ;-D Seriously, I would only pitch in ideal situations for the first half and then trade some batting for pitching in the second half when you know which pitchers are the real deal.
"My job as a coach is to make you do what you don't want to do so you can become the man you want to be."
Base Ballpickers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:12 pm

it's kind of a crapshoot guessing when a setup guy might or might not work. I had Dotel last year and it was completely hit or miss as to whether he'd go on any given day so, in order to 'score' his generally good numbers, I had to leave him in all the time and 'punt' a closer or a starter. Not worth it, in my opinion.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers