Lieber - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lieber

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lieber

Postby canibus » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:24 pm

Worth holding onto?
I drafted him knowing he'd be on the DL a while, but with Nomar and Walker's injuries...damn.

I think it will be nice to have Yankees pitcher join my rotation in a month, just wondering if he's droppable at all or if most folks would hold onto him.
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Runningman » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:38 pm

I drafted him in both leagues with my last pick.

Since then I've dropped him in both leagues because with several other injuries, I can't afford to waste a roster spot for an uncertain number of weeks.

Neither can anyone else, which is why he's stayed a free agent. That and the fact that most people don't really know about him. I'll pay attention and pick him back up when he gets off the DL.
Runningman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby canibus » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:40 pm

Hmm.
I would imagine in most informedleagues that he wouldn't remain a FA for long.

But power to ya.
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Runningman » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:01 pm

There are plenty informed people in both leagues, but like I said, no one wants to tie up a spot until the "middle of May" as reported by Yahoo. We only have one DL spot, and almost everyone already has someone on it. Plus you have to drop someone first to get him, and most people don't want to lose a player to get an uncertain player who won't play for a month or more.

Combine that with the the fact that, he hasn't pitched in two years, and even then he was great in whip, but nothing special in era, and nothing special in strikeouts his last two years.

Combine that with the uncertainty of how anyone will pitch coming off of surgery, and the time it takes to get back into some sort of groove.

In many informed leagues, he will stay a free agent while roster space is devoted to people who will come back in days or a couple of weeks, not over a month. I'm sure other people will watch his progress like I am, and they'll try to pick him up shortly before he comes back, like I am. It's easy to forget he's in the free agent pool, with no stats from last year or this one, and sitting on the DL. I just plan to be quicker than them.
Runningman
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers