are pitchers worth drafting in the 1st round? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

are pitchers worth drafting in the 1st round?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby orangecrushv » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:56 pm

I'd take hitters the 1st 2 rounds, same rankings as everyone else: Arod, Pujols, Soriano, Vlad, Beltran. For 2nd pick (16th) I'd target perhaps Boone and then start looking at pitchers with pick #24.
orangecrushv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby birty74 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:08 pm

It does depend on your scoring system.

That being said, I operate strictly on a positional scarcity approach in my straight drafts, and I typically avoid taking any pitchers in the first ten rounds of the draft (out of a total of 25 rounds). You may not believe me, but I won my league last year by waiting on pitchers and outfielders and focusing on C, 2B, SS, and 3B first. I try to grab at least one OF in the first ten rounds along with one closer. My remaining picks in the first ten rounds will be spent on a first baseman and any extreme values that fall to me (in extreme cases, that could include a starting pitcher).

You've got to know your stuff to do this well, however.

Good luck.

Matt
birty74
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:17 pm

birty74 wrote:It does depend on your scoring system.

That being said, I operate strictly on a positional scarcity approach in my straight drafts, and I typically avoid taking any pitchers in the first ten rounds of the draft (out of a total of 25 rounds).

This is normally my strategy also except that I normally try to grab one stud SP between picks 3 - 5 and then fill out the staff after the tenth round. In 5x5 I think pitchers are too risky for the first round although I think an argument can be made for the #11 and #12 picks this year due to a lack of obvious 1st rounders.

I agree with Madison's 1 - 4. I'd definitely grab one of these guys at the fourth pick.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hooligan1 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:24 pm

PeterG wrote:Arod
Pujols
Soriano

Toss up: Beltran and Vlad
All about personal feeling, vlad could be better if he's healthy the whole season but he is an injury risk whereas for the most part beltran isn't plus beltran will get like 35hr 40st vlad will get at best 40hr, 35st.

so its all about draft strategy in regular roto or head to head i would take one of these five

Vlad WILL get better power numbers than Beltran, when healthy. However, I think it's a stretch to expect any more than 10-15 SB's out of Vlad this year, or possibly maybe ever again......
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby red sox rule!!! » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:27 pm

that's my strategy too. I always focus on the positions first and grab a rp in about 4th round.

However I find that waiting late to start selecting pitchers you end up getting at the most good pitchers because most up the aces are gone
red sox rule!!!
College Coach
College Coach

Re: are pitchers worth drafting in the 1st round?

Postby ramble2 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:22 pm

red sox rule!!! wrote:hey guys,

i got a draft coming up tomorrow night. i have pick #4 and it seems like the last 4 drafts ive been in i have gotten this pick. anyways is it worth taking a pitcher at #4. the only 2 pitchers i would consider is schilling or gagne. any comments??

i dont want to end up taking a pitcher when i could be missing an opportunity at vladdy or beltran

Madison's top 4 looked good to me.

Assuming this is a 10-12 team roto league, I'd take a hitter with the #4 pick. Then you gotta go by who's been taken in your draft. I'd look to target Tejada with your 2nd pick, or, if you want a pitcher there, see if Schilling, Pedro or Halladay slips to you. Heck, with Halladay's start you might be able to steal him in Rd. 3.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:19 pm

I had Prior pegged late in the first round...but the news re the ankle first hit a couple of days before our draft and shot that down in flames. He still went #11 in a 10 team H2H. The guy who picked him also has Schilling so he could be REALLY tough if Prior comes around...

I like Prior a lot but w/ the injuries that seem to be question marks for all of the top pitchers, I am much happier (***furious knocking on wood...my desk, not Kerry!!***) to have grabbed Vazquez in the 5th round for my 'ace'.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:26 pm

yup no pitcher worth drafting in the first round (unless its a pitching oriented league of course)... you gotta go with hitters cos they contribute a lot more comletely to their cats than pitchers do
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers