MLB leagues are cheap - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB leagues are cheap

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB leagues are cheap

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:26 pm

Fantasy baseball leagues where u can pick players from both leagues are amazingly cheap. You end up with like Jim Thome on the waiver line. NL or AL only leagues are where the fun is. It takes lots of skill to win a NL or AL only league. Trying to find 20 guys that start is tough. That is the kinda league i am in, and its way fun. MLB leagues are just cheap, boring and lack the need for skill.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Xtreemes » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:32 pm

tell me what league your playin in where jim thome is on the waiver wire cause id love to join.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chip » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:33 pm

Seriously dude, I'm in an 8-man MLB league and nobody even close to Jim Thome is on the waver wire.
Chip
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:37 pm

Everyone enjoys a different level of competitiveness. I've seen 4 team mixed leagues where everyone owns nothing but All-Stars and I've seen 12 team AL or NL only leagues where at bats are gold. Everyone has their own preferances and to each their own in my opinion.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Base Ballpickers » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:54 pm

I've never joined an AL or NL only league. I guess its becuase I imagine playing in a league where you're fighting just to get at bats is like being on a beseball team and barely getting to play. I'd rather play in a league where I get to bat all the time. I like stats, so I guess its more the merrier. B-)
"My job as a coach is to make you do what you don't want to do so you can become the man you want to be."
Base Ballpickers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fishingmn » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:59 pm

Anonymous drival.

People should play how they will have the most fun. I would speculate that most owners are actually more casual fans of baseball and therefore would more enjoy a game where most of the players are at least ones they have heard of.

To say that your way is better is just idiotic but if it makes you feel better to try and build yourself up at the expense of others so be it.

Myself I play in 4 different leagues - all with a different format - I like to try different things but have no problem with whatever format people enjoy and stick with (that's the real key - who will stay committed all year)
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:02 pm

In a typical NL or AL-only league you're still only evaluating about 250 players. It's not that much more work than a mixed league. But now you're trying to figure out who's getting playing time and who's not which imo is not what fantasy baseball is about. In a perfect fantasy world, everyone gets equal playing time and those who perform better should be worth more. In mixed leagues you don't have to worry about playing time as much.

In my 16-team, 23-man roster league, you have to evaluate about 370 players so that takes skill there or at least determination.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:26 pm

I agree that has always been my problem with AL or NL only leagues. I don't see the fun in scowering the WW just to find some one who will get AB.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby jeffc_76 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:40 pm

How do AL or NL only leagues typically handle it when a player is traded out of the league? I would think the most fair thing to do is to still allow the player because he started the year in the league. I've heard that some leagues say you get the player or players that he was traded for which seems extremely unfair to me because a lot of times good players on losing teams are traded for prospects and/or cash near the trading deadline.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:44 pm

It is called "Fantasy" because you are trying to build your dream team....having guys that get minimal playing time and that I have never heard of is not what I want on my dream team.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers