I Need Trade Advice, Too! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I Need Trade Advice, Too!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I Need Trade Advice, Too!

Postby fac273 » Thu May 30, 2002 1:24 pm

Gentlemen,

I currently play in a six-team rotisserie league so, no doubt, numerous top-notch players can be found on each team. I'm thinking of a trade involving outfielders. As it stands, my outfielders are:

Lance Berkman
Ichiro
Brian Giles
Torii Hunter
Johnny Damon
Kenny Lofton

I've got another team who has agreed, in principal, to deal Vladimir Guerrero for Ichiro and Lofton. Obviously, Guerrero will provide me solid numbers in a bunch of categories (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG) whereas Ichiro and Lofton lack in HRs and RBIs. But, do you think that I may be giving up too much? Should I go for an additional player from him? He may also be willing to accept Ichiro and Carlos Delgado. Would that be better?

Looking for any feedback/criticisms. Thanks, fellas!
fac273
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby timkell » Thu May 30, 2002 2:25 pm

Well, you're giving up a lot of runs/sb's for Vlad, but he is Vlad. He's one of the top players in fantasy, but so is Ichiro. I'd say it's a fair trade. You're not getting screwed, but you do have to consider if it's worth it to you.

One thing I remember reading about Ichiro is that because he walks so few times and gets so many hits and ab's, his high average holds a greater weight in fantasy than a typical player. He can really help carry the batting average category. He'll also get tons of runs, of course. Kenny Lofton seems to be holding up well this year, too. Steals are more valuable than home runs in most fantasy leagues, and you're definitely hurting yourself in that category. The guy you give Ichiro and Lofton too will most likely win SB's, if he's in contention now.

Tough call, but I don't think I'd do it. In head to head, I would because it's all just total points, but when SB's and runs are two separate categories, I think you're giving up too much. Unless you're really behind in RBI and HR, it's too much. Delgado and Ichiro sounds perfect, as you get to keep one of your SB guys and he gets some power back. He's still getting a lot of value for Vlad, so it's fair. I'd understand if he doesn't go for it, though! Guerrero is definitely someone that I would be reluctant to trade away.

Good luck!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fac273 » Thu May 30, 2002 3:37 pm

Thnx, timkell. Your analysis makes it a little more clearer and I do agree that I would probably be giving up too much.

Actually, I think I'll try to pull off a Lofton/Delgado-for-Guerrero trade with the other guy. I still think there's good value in that for both of us, especially considering the guy needs more Rs and SBs.

I think to have Ichiro and Vlad on my team would be a steal!

Thnx again!
fac273
College Coach
College Coach

Postby timkell » Thu May 30, 2002 4:46 pm

I doubt the guy will go for Lofton and Delgado, but you never know!

If he wants Ichiro, I still think Delgado/Ichiro would be worth it. Let us know how it goes.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Thu May 30, 2002 7:21 pm

Welcome aboard, fac273! Not much to add to timkell's comprehensive analysis, just one question: how is your team doing in the individual hitting categories?

It certainly sounds as if trading one of Ichiro/Lofton/Damon would be a good idea, but I'm not sure I'd be eager to deal two at once. A trade involving Delgado sounds better; who would you then play at 1b?

Great point about Ichiro's "walkless" average making him worth even more than he already is. This effect is forgotten about too often.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers