Trade Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Advice

Postby oneforall » Thu May 30, 2002 11:08 am

I have been offered a trade that I am not sure about.

Jaques Jones
Richie Sexton
Junior Spivey

for:

Tony Batista
Jason Giambi
Andruw Jones

I was looking for help at 2nd base since I have Jeff Kent but he has done nothing all year. I could modify the trade to get Jeff Bagwell instead of Richie Sexton.

I'm doing ok in HR's and avg but is this too much to pay for an upgrade at 2nd.
oneforall

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu May 30, 2002 1:01 pm

I think it depends on what Batista brings to your team. If he's a utility, then you can move Kent over. Similarly if he qualifies at SS and is at MI, or if Kent qualifies at 1B and he's at CI. If Batista is playing 3B, then it depends who you'll have to cover 3rd.

Sexson is a step down from Giambi, but it's close. Jaques is probably a step down from Andruw, but close again. So it depends on how much you need a 2B and how little you need a 3B. I think Bagwell may be the better choice over Sexson, but I'm not sure about that either.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby timkell » Thu May 30, 2002 2:06 pm

I would turn this trade down in a heartbeat.

Giambi is way better than Sexson, and it's not even close. Have you seen what he's done in the past two weeks? He's finally getting comfortable, and he's on the team scoring the most runs in baseball. Even if their talent level was the same, Giambi will have way more RBI opportunities and score more runs.

I agree that Jaque and Andruw are pretty close, but Andruw is definitely the more valuable player. You may not get a lot more in production out of Andruw, but his trade value and potential are higher at this point.

I'd say Spivey is a better player than Batista, but if you're thinking of using Spivey in place of Kent, I think it's not a good idea. I think Kent is the better second baseman of the two. It's taken longer than expected for him to turn it on after recovering from his wrist injury, but I think he'll come around. Most other fantasy players do too. Spivey has far exceeded expectations, so you're buying him at a high right now. If you think he'll keep it up, he may be worth getting, but I don't think he will. If it was Soriano, maybe, but not Spivey.

Regardless, if you think getting Spivey will be an improvement, you can probably trade Kent for Spivey straight up.

I'd say turn it down. :-t
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Thu May 30, 2002 6:36 pm

It's close, but I'd also turn this deal down. I'd rather wait for Kent to get on track than pay this much in order to try and upgrade my 2b. Give Kent a chance, and enjoy Giambi and Jones.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers