Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

12 team roto auction- modified Labidini - WHIR 100%

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12 team roto auction- modified Labidini - WHIR 100%

Postby MPappadato » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:59 pm

Hello all,

I am in a 12 team auction league, standard 5x5 roto scoring. Only wrinkles we have are 5 OF where three of them are the actual positions- LF, CF, RF and a 1250 innings cap. I think this essentially turns the league into a K/9 rather than straight K league, so I wanted to try something different and just go with high K relievers to do well in the ratio categories, Ks, and rely on waiver pickups for saves. Wins are basically punted. I did aim to get one anchor ace to lead the staff. Here's how it went, and as always WHIR- just leave a link

C: Y Molina $3
1B: C. Carter $10
2b: R Cano $28
SS: J Rollins $7
3B: J Donaldson $24
MI: B Dozier $13
CI: M Cuddyer $8
LF: M Brantley $23
CF: C Gomez $39
RF: G Polanco $3
OF: O Arcia $5
OF: A Jones $29
Util: A Rodriguez $2

P: J Cueto $21
P: C Carrasco $11
P H Bailey $6
P J Fernandez $5
P: M Pineda $7
P Y Petit $3
P A Miller $2
P J Soria $1
P T Clippard $5

Bench: Y Grandal $4, J Hahn $1, Micah Johnson $1, N Castellanos $1

Goal was about $60 on pitching and $200 hitting and I achieved that. I am going to have to be watchful on waivers to be competitive in saves, but last year I led the league in saves and didn't have any closers on my inital drafted rosters so I'm confident I can at least be competitive in saves using the same strategy. Wins will be hard to come by, I will definitely be steaming cherry matchups.

Thanks for any feedback and again WHIR
MPappadato
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 12 team roto auction- modified Labidini - WHIR 100%

Postby B-Chad » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 pm

I absolutely love this roster. I think Carrasco will be your SP1 ... and that's more about what I think he'll do than what I think Cueto won't do. I'm also a big fan of Bailey/Pineda. While you aimed low on SPs, I love the group you have. Clippard could end up netting more saves than people are expecting. I'd be wary of Doolittle's shoulder. Soria has the heat turned up on Nathan, so you might get some saves there, too. Miller should vulture some, and as you said, he'll be a big helper in Ks and ratios. I know I'm not alone in being a fan of his, but file Brandon Maurer's name away as a potential source of saves at some point this year. I like him more than Quackenbush as the next in line should Benoit get ousted from from closer or injured.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gmunu » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:29 pm

It looks fairly solid but I don't see much of a speed source, SBs, unless Johnson wins the battle for 2B in Chicago. I think the heart of your batting order is strong and you have a number of high upside starters. How you manage waivers will go a long way toward your success but you realize that and look to be in good shape. Of course I have to admit that I am not very experienced at roto leagues.
Gmunu
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 148)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 pm

I've done this quite a bit in both IP-capped leagues and k/9 leagues and it works remarkably well. By focusing on skills-based MR's over role-based concerns you accomplish improving 3 categories and putting yourself in a great position to pick up some of the other 2 (wins and saves) by virtue of the fact that you're usually picking one of the top guys in their team's bullpen regardless of role.

I agree too that your starting pitchers are all great selections for their costs as well. I think you'll be fine in steals as well, you've got a lot of guys that can provide some stolen base value rather than a few guys that can provide a lot. This should also insulate you from having issues if that one jackrabbit gets a flat tire.

viewtopic.php?t=490852
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team