Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Seeking opinions, your insight is appreciated, WHIR.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Seeking opinions, your insight is appreciated, WHIR.

Postby SuperDoodles » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:55 pm

League settings:
10 team 6x6 4 Keepers H2H 1W 1 Minor League Keeper
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util
SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP
8 bench, 2 DL
2 NA (intended for minor league players, not restricted though)
Yahoo players list (players get listed when added to 40 man roster), offline draft, minor leaguers available in draft

Roster:
C - Carlos Santana
1B - Eric Hosmer
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - Manny Machado
SS - Jose Reyes
OF - Justin Upton K
OF - Matt Kemp K
OF - JD Martinez
Util - Brandon Belt
Be - Wil Myers
Be - Steve Pearce
NA - Francisco Lindor

SP - Clayton Kershaw K
SP - Matt Harvey K
SP - James Shields
SP - Jacob deGrom
RP - Koji Uehara
RP - Glen Perkins
Be - Tijuan Walker
Be - Jake Odorizzi
Be - Scott Kazmir
Be - Brandon McCarthy
Be - Jared Cosart
Be - Archie Bradley NA
NA - Jon Gray

K - denotes my keepers from last year
NA - minor league

Just leave a link if you want me to offer my opinions. Private message will do also. Thanks fellow fake teamers
SuperDoodles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Seeking opinions, your insight is appreciated, WHIR.

Postby andrewmac95 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:14 am

I like your team, I think you could use another top closer though. I really like your starters, you will definitely have a tough choice on keepers for next year. Is santana still eligible at catcher? In the leagues that I am in he is not.
Help with mine? https://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=490767&sid=da8843a947adfb9f4b522a894aab5971
andrewmac95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby SuperDoodles » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:52 am

Actually, when I drafted Santana my intention was to put him in at first until someone pointed that out to me. Saved my draft now that I think about it. I'm hoping for the best at closer, but I do have my eye on both of them. Thanks Drew
SuperDoodles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby X-Factor611 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:17 pm

looks solid.
Closers could be upgraded, but overall i like your team.
Your SP have a lot of potential!

thanks for the help with mine
"You Miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
X-Factor611
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 16)

Postby SuperDoodles » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:12 pm

X-Factor611 wrote:looks solid.
Closers could be upgraded, but overall i like your team.
Your SP have a lot of potential!

thanks for the help with mine

Thanks for the input. Hope that can wait till after the season starts. Also hope you're right about my pitching, I took Verlander in the first round (5th round overall after accounting for keepers) last year and we all know how that worked out. Anyways, thanks
SuperDoodles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:48 pm

closers is the biggest need i see. In a 10 team league i think you should have 3 if not 4 closeres.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 50)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:28 pm

I agree that the team looks really good and that your biggest hole is in saves. One thought I'd have if your league members overvalue advice from places that ignore OBP is to take advantage of the difference in future value for Machado in a 5x5 league where he has the potential to contribute across the board versus in a 6x6 league where he's never going to contribute to OBP. If Machado comes out like it's 2013 then I'd be looking to deal him for another good third baseman that contributes across the board + a closer. I'm not sure that Machado would ever be a top-40 guy in a 6x6 league but people might see him as keeper-worthy due to the 5x5 buzz and there's potential for profit there for you.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby SuperDoodles » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:15 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I agree that the team looks really good and that your biggest hole is in saves. One thought I'd have if your league members overvalue advice from places that ignore OBP is to take advantage of the difference in future value for Machado in a 5x5 league where he has the potential to contribute across the board versus in a 6x6 league where he's never going to contribute to OBP. If Machado comes out like it's 2013 then I'd be looking to deal him for another good third baseman that contributes across the board + a closer. I'm not sure that Machado would ever be a top-40 guy in a 6x6 league but people might see him as keeper-worthy due to the 5x5 buzz and there's potential for profit there for you.

You may not like hearing this but I could've kept Longoria instead of Kemp, or even Harvey. Last two years we've been using hits but switched to OBP this season. I would've rather XBH or TB, but it's still better. I guess I had overestimated his on base rate. I guess it's good our league is new to OBP, and a few guys were disappointed when he went in the second round (6th round overall, 13th pick of our draft). In a league that doesn't value saves as much, is it still worth trading to upgrade there?

Note: dropped Jared Cosart for Brett Cecil then Cecil for Cuddyer. No move restrictions yet so can still switch back when waivers clear. I'm also indecisive :-)
SuperDoodles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby B-Chad » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:35 pm

I would re-add Cecil. I think he'd be a great addition to your roster. Otherwise, I like the mix. It's a solid team. And in a 10 teamer, you'll have chances to nab saves/closers throughout the season.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 127)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:04 pm

First I agree that getting Cecil back is a good move. I think he's got the ability to stick in the closer role. And the glasses make him a candidate for a future Major League movie remake so there's that in his favor as well. ;-D

SuperDoodles wrote:In a league that doesn't value saves as much, is it still worth trading to upgrade there?

Only if you get a guy that can help in era/whip/k/9 as well. With 3 ratio categories AND saves a closer is still fairly valuable, especially if you get one on a team that doesn't baby their closer and keep him in the low-50's ip-wise. But if Machado looks like he's breaking out you might be able to get a package of a guy like Chase Headley or Matt Carpenter who see higher value in OBP leagues than what your regular league values would have and get a closer thrown in to boot.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team