Jose Contreras - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Contreras

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jose Contreras

Postby Fenix0220 » Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:16 am

Does anyone have any thoughts about Jose Contreras? Any projections/predictions?
Fenix0220
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davegod2 » Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:05 pm

Right now I wouldn't bother with him unless you have a roster spot that you are not doing anything with (not likely). There is a chance he could start some time this year, and I believe he will be successful, but he really doesn't have too much value until that time comes. Just be quick about it when he does finally get that start or someone else will grab him before you do....
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
davegod2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:17 pm

i think a lot of his spring trouble can be linked to stuff happening off the field. how well do you think you would pitch if your father had a stroke and you couldn't go back to see him because he was in Cuba.

All together i think he can be a great #2 maybe even a number 1starter in the MLB. He was dominate in the Cuban Leagues which are the equvilent to a very good AAA team, its only a matter of time till Wells, Clemens of Pettite get hurt or Weaver implodes.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby The Guru_fbc » Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:27 pm

Right now I wouldn't bother with him unless you have a roster spot that you are not doing anything with (not likely). There is a chance he could start some time this year, and I believe he will be successful, but he really doesn't have too much value until that time comes. Just be quick about it when he does finally get that start or someone else will grab him before you do....

He'll be drafted in probably every draft so take a shot on him in your draft because he probably won't be on waivers
The Guru_fbc
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby davegod2 » Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:45 pm

He's on waivers in both of my leagues right now. I can't waste a roster spot for a pitcher that is neither starting nor closing, nor can a lot of other teams....
davegod2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:37 pm

what if he proforms like Johan Santana? great ERA, WHIP and K's are worth having even if he doesn't start or save.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby davegod2 » Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:12 pm

Anonymous wrote:what if he proforms like Johan Santana? great ERA, WHIP and K's are worth having even if he doesn't start or save.
That's true, as long as you are considering him to be a middle reliever, not a starter. And the best middle relievers don't get picked up until late in the draft. All I am saying is that you should temper your enthusiasm for him, don't take him earlier than he deserves to be taken....
davegod2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Danks81 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:01 am

I drafted Contreras in the 15th round of my 12 man league. I was short on pitching and figured a 15th rounder was worth a shot.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

contreras

Postby gypsyspot » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:22 am

i dont like contreras. I dont see him cracking that Yankees rotation.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Danks81 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:34 pm

He might not crack it right away, but you know Pettite and/or Wells will break down sooner or later and he'll step in. The Yanks did falter with Hideki Irabu, but I feel Contreras has the discipline to earn the money he's getting.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers