drafted all hitting and no pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

drafted all hitting and no pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

drafted all hitting and no pitching

Postby Base Ballpickers » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:32 pm

I decided to try something new this year in one of my leagues. I drafted all hitting and no pitching. Later I picked up a bunch of low end closers. Now, I've got a killer hitting team with several saves on top. After all-star I'm going to trade my big hitters for top pitchers. I expected to be in last place, but I'm in 3rd out of 12 even though the other teams have 5 times the innings pitched. What do you think of this strategy?
"My job as a coach is to make you do what you don't want to do so you can become the man you want to be."
Base Ballpickers
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetruth » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:38 pm

if u are able to find some quality undrafted starting pitching it could work out, but i dont think its a solid strategy.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetongueofire » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:39 pm

ratings a week into the season don't really matter.... if your hitting is good enough to be tops in most of the cats and you fill up yoiur team with decent closers and realivers, it has a pretty good chance of working cos the relievers will give you better stats than starters in all the cats except IP, W, Ks... u should also win the SV and Holds cats hands down. and yup you have traiding bait come all-star break to give up a few of those relievers or hitters (after theve already helped you) for good SP.

however the problem with this kinda strategy is that its very risky... if one of your relivers failed (for ex if you had the beloved Jose Mesa last year) it would kill your pitching staff cos the other relievers (even if they do good) prolly wont throw enough innings to offset the negative effect of that failed reliever on your staff.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Base Ballpickers » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:47 pm

I picked up herges, chacon, mesa, leskanic, riske (yikes!). I'm not even going to think about pitching until all-star break. I've got 18 hitters to choose from!!! I'm leading the hitting stats and I've already got more saves than guys who drafted smoltzy and gagne and the like. You're right, however, it's to early to tell how things will go...but it seems to be working...especially since I've got all the sleepers (hitters) tied up too.
"My job as a coach is to make you do what you don't want to do so you can become the man you want to be."
Base Ballpickers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Apex » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:31 pm

Base Ballpickers wrote:I picked up herges, chacon, mesa, leskanic, riske (yikes!). I'm not even going to think about pitching until all-star break. I've got 18 hitters to choose from!!! I'm leading the hitting stats and I've already got more saves than guys who drafted smoltzy and gagne and the like. You're right, however, it's to early to tell how things will go...but it seems to be working...especially since I've got all the sleepers (hitters) tied up too.

I'd start thinking about trading some of those hitters now. You can't be getting much production out of some of those hitters, and if you wait too long, you won't be able to climb out of the pitching hole.

With that said, I did the same in one of my leagues, and don't plan to pick up any starters the rest of the season. I'm just curious to see how I end up doing. I have a glimmer of hope because I'm near the middle of the pack right now and my outfielders are just killing me. If they come around, I could make some serious hay. (And don't say that the wins and Ks will eventually hurt me, because I'm already dead last in both categories.)
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Base Ballpickers » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:47 pm

I don't look at it as getting myself into a hole because every person in a league has a certain number of innings to pitch. Most poeple blow their innings soon after all-star break and their pitcher just sit. Seeing that, I've decided on a strategy that would help me use the people who waste their innings. All I have to do is load up on decent starting pitching in the second half and keep them in all the time. I'll get my innings in. The key will be to find average hitters to maintain my lead in stats through the second half of the season when I trade away my big hitters for great pitching.
Base Ballpickers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sevillano » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:57 pm

Just out of curiosity, would you mind posting your roster?
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sevillano » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:58 pm

Also, what's the IP max set at?
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Base Ballpickers » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:01 pm

"I'd start thinking about trading some of those hitters now. You can't be getting much production out of some of those hitters"

I don't know, man. I lead all the hitting catagories right now.

I have 10 saves after 18.2 innings pitched with 18 K's. I wish I could keep that going all season!!! But back to reality. I have one blown save by chacon and it hurt pretty bad.
Base Ballpickers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Base Ballpickers » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:02 pm

max inning pitched is 1450.
Base Ballpickers
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers