Dontrelle Willis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dontrelle Willis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:57 pm

BigMusky wrote:he is just like Kim....good first time through and then WHAMMY!!!!
anyhow...everyone knows the guy with Dontrel as his portrait is going to love him!


Well duh, that's why I'm defending him. There's a reason I like him, and I was trying to explain.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2198
Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Postby Erboes » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:59 pm

Man, you guys are talking up a storm but aren't backing it up a bit. Willis had one bad month last year -- one! He finished strongly and is one of the top young pitchers in the game. I got him cheaply in every non-AL league I am in and it drew snickers from the crowd each time. Other than his one bad month last season (August), his highest ERA of any month was May (3.72) and he had an ERA of 2.89 in 6 September starts. Come one, fellas, back your claims with facts.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1433
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:20 pm

I'll start off by saying I don't think Dontrelle will be great, but a decent #3 starter, and nothing more. He shoudl be excellent trade bait in early-mid May though.

And about Prior being a role model by Cornbread's requirements, I seem to remember him being cocky and arrogant last season. I just can't remember the exact time-frame or reason. Maybe he's a good guy, because I havn't heard him talk at press conferances or anything, I'm just basing this on one or two instances I heard last year.

And I don't personally see anything wrong with being cocky as long as you aren't degrading somebody you beat. If you say your the best, and you are, that's fine. I don't see how that has a negative influence on kids. People that no matter what, have an excuse for why they didn't win, an excuse for why somebody else won, etc, are bad role models IMO. I can't stand those people in real life. Everything bad is somebody elses fault, and everything good couldn't have happened without them. :-P
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby Swinger » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:59 pm

I'm definitely siding with Erboes and Nomar here. Main arguments against:
Started out well, but then people "figured him out".. began to see his "trick delivery"..

Good pitchers have bad months too. Did Mussina pitch badly because batters 'figured him out'? Willis pitched an amazing September, when batters were supposedly bombing him and his trick delivery. There's nothing ingenuine about a unique delivery if it works. Pitching 160 innings with the stats he put up tells us something about his trick delivery: yeah, it's awesome.

Not to mention his great minor league stats.

Now does anyone have a good argument against Dontrelle?
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 808
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:07 pm

well he has a stupid name.

all I can think of is different strokes when I see his name

"what chu talkin bout willis"?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3769
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

After reading this stuff I traded for him

Postby polkaman » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm

After reading all the replies, I traded Carl Everett for Willis


.roto 5x5 14 teams
scoring ave. tb runs rbi sb
wins k era whip saves

1b thome
2b rivas
ss a-rod
3b chavez
of manny
of brian giles
of vernon wells
of alex sanchez
u hafner
dh jose cruz
c toby hall
sp oswalt
sp mulder
sp padilla
sp eaton
sp contreras
rp dotel
rp mesa

BENCH
of mench
1b overbay
2b polanco
sp vogelsong
sp willis
rp lidge
polkaman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 538
Joined: 30 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:19 pm

Sounds to me like alot of these Dontrelle haters missed out on him last year. They probably go tbeat by owners like me who snapped him up after one or 2 starts.

If you can get him for a reasonable offer, I'd say take it and laugh your way up the standings. Why wouldn't you want one of the brightest young pitchers in the game on your team? The fact that he is a fun guy to watch pitch, and is also a great interview makes owning him all the more enjoyable.

Contrary to what the uninformed are sayaing, he is extremely coachable. He is also not 'cocky'. Confident sure, any good player shouldn't lack for confidence.
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby bleach168 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:29 pm

Erboes wrote:Willis had one bad month last year -- one! He finished strongly and is one of the top young pitchers in the game.


As I recall, October wasn't kind to Willis either. That makes it two months he was bad and with one of them being October means he didn't finish strongly.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5046
(Past Year: 50)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:56 pm

Erboes wrote:Man, you guys are talking up a storm but aren't backing it up a bit. Willis had one bad month last year -- one! He finished strongly and is one of the top young pitchers in the game. I got him cheaply in every non-AL league I am in and it drew snickers from the crowd each time. Other than his one bad month last season (August), his highest ERA of any month was May (3.72) and he had an ERA of 2.89 in 6 September starts. Come one, fellas, back your claims with facts.



ERBOES nice call. I don't know why the Cafe is so down on Willis? He is not a fluke, he will be solid. He had 1 bad month, which is explainable because of the workload for a 21 year old. His 2.89 Sept. era came with his month high in innings.

BLEACH post season don't count fantasy wise. Willis only threw 12 innings in Oct. anyways.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15106
(Past Year: 303)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:06 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Erboes wrote:Man, you guys are talking up a storm but aren't backing it up a bit. Willis had one bad month last year -- one! He finished strongly and is one of the top young pitchers in the game. I got him cheaply in every non-AL league I am in and it drew snickers from the crowd each time. Other than his one bad month last season (August), his highest ERA of any month was May (3.72) and he had an ERA of 2.89 in 6 September starts. Come one, fellas, back your claims with facts.



ERBOES nice call. I don't know why the Cafe is so down on Willis? He is not a fluke, he will be solid. He had 1 bad month, which is explainable because of the workload for a 21 year old. His 2.89 Sept. era came with his month high in innings.

BLEACH post season don't count fantasy wise. Willis only threw 12 innings in Oct. anyways.


I hope you still think I should have traded him for Huff, right? :-]
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Izenhart, margaritaht1, NikkiSixx and 15 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Apr. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(2:20 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Miami at Miami
(7:08 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Seattle
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact