Dontrelle Willis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dontrelle Willis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:21 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:I think he's for real, and I hope he becomes the next dominant pitcher, b/c he's the kind of players we need to be superstars. He doesn't shy away from the camera, and he's a good role model for the kids. I just hope that windup doesn't hurt his back or arm.


Yeah - thatd be great - more me first, no-one-can-tell-me-what-to-do, brash, loudmouth, egotistical, and outspoken players in baseball! Thatd be awesome! Hopefully, it can turn into the NBA in no time. With all those great rolemodels running around for my kids to see, I barely have to do any parenting at all. ;-7

Hes a fluke pitcher who relies heavily on a trick delivery. Once opposition gets comfortable to seeing him again, he'll get shelled again.
The only regret I have is that I didnt draft him late. Once he strings together a good month - something I believe he will do - I would deal him for more than his drafted value. He has a lot of trade value because of his name recognition right now - and the idea that he will start off hot until batters get used to seeing him.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:28 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Hes a fluke pitcher who relies heavily on a trick delivery. Once opposition gets comfortable to seeing him again, he'll get shelled again.
The only regret I have is that I didnt draft him late. Once he strings together a good month - something I believe he will do - I would deal him for more than his drafted value. He has a lot of trade value because of his name recognition right now - and the idea that he will start off hot until batters get used to seeing him.


I agree. And I've started to get offers already. Just got one for Huff straight up.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:53 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:I think he's for real, and I hope he becomes the next dominant pitcher, b/c he's the kind of players we need to be superstars. He doesn't shy away from the camera, and he's a good role model for the kids. I just hope that windup doesn't hurt his back or arm.


Yeah - thatd be great - more me first, no-one-can-tell-me-what-to-do, brash, loudmouth, egotistical, and outspoken players in baseball! Thatd be awesome! Hopefully, it can turn into the NBA in no time. With all those great rolemodels running around for my kids to see, I barely have to do any parenting at all. ;-7

Hes a fluke pitcher who relies heavily on a trick delivery. Once opposition gets comfortable to seeing him again, he'll get shelled again.
The only regret I have is that I didnt draft him late. Once he strings together a good month - something I believe he will do - I would deal him for more than his drafted value. He has a lot of trade value because of his name recognition right now - and the idea that he will start off hot until batters get used to seeing him.


Wow, apparently I've been watching a different Dontrelle than you have.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2198
Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:58 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Wow, apparently I've been watching a different Dontrelle than you have.


I doubt it - chances are we just have different ideas of what a role model should be.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BabyBoomer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:00 pm

He's not that good. He is the type of guy who will have one good month and the pitch either normal or bad the other month. He does not have the consistence that make a great pitcher great.,
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 180
Joined: 4 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:02 pm

I just traded danny kolb to get him...

Hell be my bottom starter, and i dont expect much of him, but im gonna trade him for a good pitcher after the first few weeks
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:15 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:Wow, apparently I've been watching a different Dontrelle than you have.


I doubt it - chances are we just have different ideas of what a role model should be.


Personally, I like someone who actually enjoys playing the game. I like someone who embraces the spotlight, and doesn't have a criminal record. It doesn't hurt that he took a paycut at the beginning of the season, after saving the Marlins last year. I can't think of any pitcher who could be a better role model......

P.S. By role model, I mean for Baseball, not life. Parents should be role models for life.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2198
Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:35 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:Wow, apparently I've been watching a different Dontrelle than you have.


I doubt it - chances are we just have different ideas of what a role model should be.


Personally, I like someone who actually enjoys playing the game. I like someone who embraces the spotlight, and doesn't have a criminal record. It doesn't hurt that he took a paycut at the beginning of the season, after saving the Marlins last year. I can't think of any pitcher who could be a better role model......

P.S. By role model, I mean for Baseball, not life. Parents should be role models for life.


Unfortunately our media shines the spotlight on those people who attract attention - whether its positive or negative.
Enjoying the spotlight has no bearing on whether they make a good role model or not.
Your points about not having a criminal record and taking a pay cut are valid, and I completely agree - they are both positives when describing a role model.
Cockyness, on the other hand, is a big negative for me when thinking about role models, and I thats more of how I see Dtrain - a cocky youngster that achieveed success way too early.

As for what current players are better role models? Schilling, Maddux, Glavine, Halladay, Prior, Vazquez, any of the OAK trio, Pooholes, Arod, Helton, Beltran, Boone, Nomar, Magglio...

This is a real basic list off the top of my head - notice how all of these players let their game speak for themselves. I am less concerned with a player going to where the money is than I am with a player who strives for the spotlight with his mouth.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:41 pm

I understand your point, but, usually, you have to be in the spotlight to be a role model. I totally agree with Maddux, Glavine, Prior, Nomar, and the Oakland trio, but some of those guys don't want to have the spotlight, and thus, can't be a role model for the average kid. And, sadly, its hard for people who don't speak the English language that great to be role models for the average kid, thus eliminating Vazquez and Pujols(although Pujols does speak pretty good English). And Arod, well by my location in my profile, you can see what I think about him.... :-P
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2198
Joined: 25 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Postby BigMusky » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:44 pm

he is just like Kim....good first time through and then WHAMMY!!!!
anyhow...everyone knows the guy with Dontrel as his portrait is going to love him!
Image
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2780
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Aug. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Houston at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Washington
(4:05 pm)
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact