Young Guns - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Young Guns

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Young Guns

Postby Freebird27 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:48 am

Every season we look for that young arm to come out of no where and be a solid contributor to our staff. Who will it be this year...a la Webb...could it be Vogelsong or Bonderman? If not then who is your choice..excluding the Johan Santanas
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:10 am

IMO It will be Vogelsong.

I like him over Bonderman for a couple reasons. He's older, pitches in the NL, and is throwing HEAT. He made Philly look bad.

It's possible Vogelsong could go around 3.75 1.30 WHIP and K/IP for a large chunk of the season.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Young Guns

Postby Ry-Guy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:24 am

Don't count out Cliff Lee, Edwin Jackson, and Rich Harden just yet. I know they aren't exactly coming from no where but they need a big push right now to get their stuff together.

I hope we can see the Mets' Scott Kazmir or the Phillies' Gavin Floyd before the season is over.
Check out www.hardcorefantasybaseball.com
Ry-Guy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:26 am

Anonymous wrote:He made Philly look bad.

It's not real hard to make the Phillies look bad right now--they are bad. :-D
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby hybrid » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:28 am

I'd say it is to hard to pick anyone right now, give me 1 more start and i would name some people. Vogelsong looked good against the phillies, but hasn't every pitcher so far? I like Bonderman as one of my top choices though I'm not sure this is his year, might be better off to say a year or two down the road. Some others that come to mind are Patterson, Vargas, Lee, Jackson, Affeldt, etc. etc. I'm sure i missed quite a few though. Not sure if you would consider Jackson out of nowhere as most think he is the top rookie pitcher this year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Hyde » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:37 am

It's still a little early to tell, I haven't seen Vogelsong pitch yet. His first start wasn't on tv. I'm having my doubts that there will be someone as good as Brandon Webb this yr. Webb throws pitches that break over a foot even at Coors in the cold. Webb is a really great pitcher. Bonderman, I still think he is a yr or two away from posting a sub 4 era. Once I see Vogelsong pitch I'll get a better idea of how good he is, but I'm doubting he has a breaking ball as good as Brandon Webb's. The guy I'm keeping my eye on is Jeff Weaver. He is available in alot of leagues and he has always had good stuff and pitching in LA might be just what he needed.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetruth » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:01 am

Hyde wrote:It's still a little early to tell, I haven't seen Vogelsong pitch yet. His first start wasn't on tv. I'm having my doubts that there will be someone as good as Brandon Webb this yr. Webb throws pitches that break over a foot even at Coors in the cold. Webb is a really great pitcher. Bonderman, I still think he is a yr or two away from posting a sub 4 era. Once I see Vogelsong pitch I'll get a better idea of how good he is, but I'm doubting he has a breaking ball as good as Brandon Webb's. The guy I'm keeping my eye on is Jeff Weaver. He is available in alot of leagues and he has always had good stuff and pitching in LA might be just what he needed.

i watched webb pitch yesterday and i don't remember him throwing many breaking balls, if any. he has a nasty sinker that looks like it has a homing device to the plate and a good changeup.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:07 am

thetruth wrote:
Hyde wrote:It's still a little early to tell, I haven't seen Vogelsong pitch yet. His first start wasn't on tv. I'm having my doubts that there will be someone as good as Brandon Webb this yr. Webb throws pitches that break over a foot even at Coors in the cold. Webb is a really great pitcher. Bonderman, I still think he is a yr or two away from posting a sub 4 era. Once I see Vogelsong pitch I'll get a better idea of how good he is, but I'm doubting he has a breaking ball as good as Brandon Webb's. The guy I'm keeping my eye on is Jeff Weaver. He is available in alot of leagues and he has always had good stuff and pitching in LA might be just what he needed.

i watched webb pitch yesterday and i don't remember him throwing many breaking balls, if any. he has a nasty sinker that looks like it has a homing device to the plate and a good changeup.

Yup, a sinker is no breaking ball.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby fishingmn » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:11 am

Couple others to watch -

Riley - Balt
Harang - Cincy
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BiggityBaseball » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:35 pm

what teams are bonderman and jackson on? can someone give me a run down on these two?
-Biggity
BiggityBaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers