How baseball have been stained - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How baseball have been stained

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Spartans Rule » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:25 pm

BabyBoomer wrote:I could careless if Big Leaguer do it but what if your son in high school or college start emulating them.

What about the kid who wants to be like bond and take excessive steroids. Monkey see monkey do. Not every kid in the high school or college level know what moderate is. If it were just regular ball players it would be alright but there are kids out there who will emulate their idol.

Thats where parenting comes in, hopefully. Parents have a responsibility to teach their kids about drugs, and that includes steroids. You can't blame Barry Bonds for someone else's choices.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BabyBoomer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:25 pm

Thats exactly my point. I could care leass about the players using it but if kids start using it then it can create some chaos.
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:28 pm

BabyBoomer wrote:Thats exactly my point. I could care leass about the players using it but if kids start using it then it can create some chaos.

That's why we need to go after these people like Balco. Hopefully, that could teach kid's that they will be punished if they use steroids. Plus, nowadays its about hgh.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BabyBoomer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:29 pm

Thats where parenting comes in, hopefully. Parents have a responsibility to teach their kids about drugs, and that includes steroids. You can't blame Barry Bonds for someone else's choices.

Peer presure. Have you ever felt that monster. Not every kid is strong enough to reject it. As much as parent try to help, sometime kids influence kids more. Not all parent will teach their children about drugs. I dont know why but it happens.[/quote]
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:30 pm

BabyBoomer wrote:Thats exactly my point. I could care leass about the players using it but if kids start using it then it can create some chaos.

But is that Barry's or MLB players fault or the Press? ....

I could walk into any GNC right now and there is probably 250 LEGAL supplements that I could take that would help me during my workout.
The sad part is the "Media" not Barry, is shoving "Steriods" down your kids throught ... change the channel ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1159)

Postby BabyBoomer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:35 pm

It might be me but why is everyone saying i am blaming bond?
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:35 pm

ponson's poor toilet wrote:Legality is a gray area. Andro was legal and people still threw a fit when it was seen in McGwire's locker. There are some powerful legal steroids on the market right now that the government hasn't caught up to yet. They will soon but as of now, they're legal. Is it OK for baseball players to use those? I honestly don't know, I'm asking.

Yes it is ok for a couple of reasons from my perspective. In this case legality is not a gray area, a particular substance is either legal or it's not so to me that's black and white. I do not know enough about steroids or similar substances to make an educated decision so I have to have faith in our society's laws.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thetongueofire » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:If it is a legal substance, I don't care. It's their body, they're grown men and they can do what they want. If it is an illegal substance than I do care for several reasons:

1. Any achievements made by the player are tainted and that's bad for baseball as a whole.

2. Our youth and especially our young athletes see achievement via illegal substances and may decide this is the only way they can compete.

3. Baseball is a business and player's peformance transfers to revenue. If player A uses a banned substance and succeeds, player B now has the added pressure to break the law in order to maintain value.

Absolutely... nailed it right on the head ;-D

steroids can be really harmful cos there's always a tradeoff when they divert your body's resources to making it grow.. so it messes up many other basic processes of the body. one of the main side effects are to the liver which works harder to eliminate poisonous substances and toxins produced by steroids. and thats how the liver fails.

btw- did anyone know that the steroids taken by athletes are derivatives of Testosterone and Andro is actually a group of steroids which really resemble Testosterone in their structure.

anyways heres an interesting piece of info- one of the most common side effects of steroids is known as "bitch tits"... LoL... i think you can pretty much guess what that means... it happens when steroids are converted into ESTROGEN during their metabolism by the body.

so to anyone whos taking 'roids- have fun !!! :-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ponson's poor toilet » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:39 pm

Amazinz wrote:
ponson's poor toilet wrote:Legality is a gray area. Andro was legal and people still threw a fit when it was seen in McGwire's locker. There are some powerful legal steroids on the market right now that the government hasn't caught up to yet. They will soon but as of now, they're legal. Is it OK for baseball players to use those? I honestly don't know, I'm asking.

Yes it is ok for a couple of reasons from my perspective. In this case legality is not a gray area, a particular substance is either legal or it's not so to me that's black and white. I do not know enough about steroids or similar substances to make an educated decision so I have to have faith in our society's laws.

They're way behind. They're currently trying to catch up but right now you can buy a substance like methyl 1-test that is as strong as most illegal anabolic steroids. The legality of the substance is indeed gray because it has found a loophole in the current laws.
ponson's poor toilet
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:39 pm

BabyBoomer wrote:It might be me but why is everyone saying i am blaming bond?

Just using him as an example, It just so happens to be Barry's day ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1159)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers