How baseball have been stained - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How baseball have been stained

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How baseball have been stained

Postby BabyBoomer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:26 pm

With all the comotions that the Home Run race has cause i cannot but think wheather these guys are doing it using steroids. I am not saying Bonds is taking steroid but the fact is that allot of guys are doing it. The only record steroid can not break is my favorite record set by Cal Ripken playing consecutive games ( You know he didn't take steroid)

As a college player myself, i can not look apon power records the same way. I have seen guys taking body builders and they go through a drastic emotional and physical change. It is kind of scary what steroids used unproperly can lead to. I have myself tried not to think about it but i know i have no future in baseball. I have been offered these drugs and i was this close to taking them. Good for me i am a sacry cat :-B

What do you think?

Untill steroid checking is performed regularly, it is hard to look at baseball power records the same. Maybe its just me :-/
Last edited by BabyBoomer on Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Melo255 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:36 pm

It might not be just you but I for one could care less. People are either idiots or naive to have this be a shock to them. Athletes take steroids? Nooooooo. Who really didn't know this their whole lives while watching Canseco McGwire etc? Why the sudden outrage is beyond me. If they want to juice up I say go for it. Steroids when taken improperly or to excess are very dangerous but steroids taken in moderation are actually quite beneficial. I'm going to assume that most ballplayers at a professional level that take steroids do not go overboard and shoot them like candy but rather use them as an aid or supplement to their regular rigorous excercise regimen. All in all the outrage is laughable. If your surprised that players are taking steroids then you have been living in a dreamworld and need to stop smoking all that dope.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BabyBoomer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:41 pm

What about the kid who wanrs to be like bond and take excessive steroids. Monkey see monkey do. Not every kid in the high school or college level know what moderate is. If it were just regular ball players it would be alright but there are kids out there who will emulate their idol.
Last edited by BabyBoomer on Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:44 pm

college? an american college? are you sure? :-? you must have ditched english .....

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby BabyBoomer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:47 pm

I am writing this real fast because I am currently babysitting a few kids. You know how it gets. :-o I just want to hear your input on the situation.
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bedard » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:48 pm

Do you even know the difference between steroids and supplements? Or why, logically, kreatine is ok while andro isn't (i do know they do different things...but why is one more ok than the other)? While I'm sure some people do, I certainly don't. Comparing this era to a past era is bs because players of this era have a tremendous advantage even without steroids...supplements, weight training, and conditioning are much more advanced now they in the past. I can't fathom why people would care about whether a player roided or took massive amounts of artificial protein + kreatine. Who cares? What makes a steroid a steroid and why is a steroid so much worse than a non-steroid supplement? And why does it matter?
Bedard

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby BabyBoomer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:57 pm

I could careless if Big Leaguer do it but what if your son in high school or college start emulating them.

What about the kid who wants to be like bond and take excessive steroids. Monkey see monkey do. Not every kid in the high school or college level know what moderate is. If it were just regular ball players it would be alright but there are kids out there who will emulate their idol.
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:19 pm

If it is a legal substance, I don't care. It's their body, they're grown men and they can do what they want. If it is an illegal substance than I do care for several reasons:

1. Any achievements made by the player are tainted and that's bad for baseball as a whole.

2. Our youth and especially our young athletes see achievement via illegal substances and may decide this is the only way they can compete.

3. Baseball is a business and player's peformance transfers to revenue. If player A uses a banned substance and succeeds, player B now has the added pressure to break the law in order to maintain value.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:25 pm

I really doubt that these high profile players are taking steroids. I would be more concerned with the guys that hit .250. People like Bonds, Sheffield, and Giambi are good hitters, and steroids wouldn't change that. I could only see steroids adding another 5-6 hr's a year to a superstar's totals, and, IMO, wouldn't be worth the risk to these guys.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ponson's poor toilet » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:If it is a legal substance, I don't care. It's their body, they're grown men and they can do what they want. If it is an illegal substance than I do care for several reasons:

1. Any achievements made by the player are tainted and that's bad for baseball as a whole.

2. Our youth and especially our young athletes see achievement via illegal substances and may decide this is the only way they can compete.

3. Baseball is a business and player's peformance transfers to revenue. If player A uses a banned substance and succeeds, player B now has the added pressure to break the law in order to maintain value.

Legality is a gray area. Andro was legal and people still threw a fit when it was seen in McGwire's locker. There are some powerful legal steroids on the market right now that the government hasn't caught up to yet. They will soon but as of now, they're legal. Is it OK for baseball players to use those? I honestly don't know, I'm asking.
Last edited by ponson's poor toilet on Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponson's poor toilet
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers