Catcher Advice (I have three, who should I drop) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Catcher Advice (I have three, who should I drop)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Catcher Advice (I have three, who should I drop)

Postby Guest » Wed May 29, 2002 4:23 pm

I might have a catcher problem coming up in the next couple weeks. I'm currently in a 4x4 10 team league and here are my healthy catchers:

Eli Marrero
Gil, Geronimo

I also have Ivan Rodriguiez on the IR.

Ivan is suppose to come back within the next couple weeks and I'd like to start him. Who should I cut? Both catachers are playing well currently, but I guess Eli Marrero doesn't play all the time. Eli Marrero has been playing well, but so has Gil. Should I risk bringing Ivan into the starting lineup when he starts playing and cut one of them? Let me know. Thanks.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Wed May 29, 2002 5:01 pm

Fortunately, you have a little more time before having to make this decision. I'd definitely keep I-Rod; if he heats up, he's enormously valuable. At the moment, I'd drop Gil, but keep a close eye on Marrero's playing time in the near future.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zpalm » Wed May 29, 2002 5:57 pm

I wouldn't drop either of them i'd try and package on of them to another team if you can. How many teams in your league? Marrero is valuable because he steals bases while i think Gil is a solid cather.

Who i cut lose would depend on if i needed speed or power. Gil will get you more hr's and rbi's while marrero will get you stolen bases by a catcher. But first i try and trade one of them.
zpalm
College Coach
College Coach

Trade Advice

Postby Guest » Thu May 30, 2002 4:49 pm

If I were to trade Eli Marrero or Gil who do you think I need to upgrade? I'm in a 4x4 10 team league and here is my batting lineup.

I'm currently 9th in BA, 2nd in HR's, 3rd in RBI's, 6th in SB

Gil, Geronimo BAL C
Marrero, Eli STL C,OF
Bagwell, Jeff HOU 1B
Spivey, Junior ARI 2B
Chavez, Eric OAK 3B
Rodriguez, Alex TEX SS
Mora, Melvin BAL 2B,OF,SS
Salmon, Tim ANA OF
Guerrero, Vladimir MON OF
Anderson, Garret ANA OF
Kearns, Austin CIN OF

Eckstein, David ANA Utility
Hinske, Eric TOR Utility

IR
David Justic
Ivan Rodriguiez

Which position do you think I need an upgrade and who do you think I should go after for a trade involving Marrero or Gil?

Postby Arlo » Thu May 30, 2002 6:21 pm

I wouldn't concentrate on any one spot to upgrade; find the team or two that need the most help at catcher, and see if they have anyone who would be a slight upgrade over one of your starters. Perhaps of would be easiest; lots of teams will have strong of's, and won't hesitate to part with one in order to improve the shallowest position.

A deal of this sort may or may not be forthcoming in a ten-team league. See what happens, and be flexible in your trade talks. Good luck!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Javy Lopez is available to pick up

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:27 am

What do you think about Javy Lopez as a catcher.

I have Gil, Geronimo and Marrero, Eli.

When Pudge gets back I'm going to either have to trade or give up one of them. Javy Lopez is available to pick up. Should I pick him up and drop Gil or Marrero?

Postby Arlo » Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:19 am

I think Lopez is a much more valuable player for the Braves than he is for a fantasy team. It's hard to be enthusiastic about him when he's hitting below .220, with not much hope of a serious turnaround. His numbers may pick up slightly, but I think his decline isn't merely temporary. Plus, if his hitting doesn't pick up soon, the Braves may try to give him a lift by letting him have more days off.

I'd stick with what you have, and count the days until I-Rod's return.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers