Kearns??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kearns???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kearns???

Postby gimpybunters » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:27 pm

What is up with Austin Kearns. counting today he is 4-25 with 10 Ks
That sucks. Is he still having problems with his shoulder or is he off to a slow start. I am about to bench him.
You Can Do It
gimpybunters
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:43 pm

as of may 20th last year, kearns was hitting .309 and was 3rd in the home run race with 13, leading the league in rbi (44). over a full season, those numbers project just under 50 hr and almost 168 rbi. ridiculous.

may 21st, his season was essentially ended by a collision with ray king at the plate. he tried to play through the resulting shoulder injury, but it was a farce. he could barely swing, let alone throw. his stats plummeted, and eventually (july 8th) they put him on the shelf.

according to doctors, coaches, the manager, his teammates and kearns himself, he's healthy, now--just has to regain his strength, and recalibrate to ml pitching. having just attended a game yesterday, and watched his final two at-bats in particular, his strength is back. the home run to left and the long fly-out to right were commanding displays of strength and coordination.

i'm looking for him to bounce back HUGE within the next two weeks.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby John Bonzo » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:07 pm

Yes, Kearns is a guy that I would be patient with. If you have some hitting depth, you may want to bench him until he starts improving, but i expect a solid season from him when it is all said and done, it just may take a little time for him to get back in the swing of things.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bibsybob » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:30 pm

after a better night yesterday, he goes 0-4 with 3 strikeouts today. very impressive.
bibsybob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby juggernaut118 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:46 pm

i compare kearns to thome...both will smack a load of balls out of the park, but with that, they will also strikeout 150+ times. If your team is fairly low in the K category and can tolerate some K's, go for it, but if you already have 2 or more guys with 100+ K's on the season, i wouldn't do it unless you are dropping a guy that strikes out a lot
juggernaut118
College Coach
College Coach

Postby benjapage » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:11 pm

(*burp*)

...and a triple off the 409 sign in left-center. "boy, did he hit that one a ton," as called by marty brennaman.

just a little patience, children. he'll be comin' 'round the mountain.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:11 pm

juggernaut118 wrote:i compare kearns to thome...both will smack a load of balls out of the park, but with that, they will also strikeout 150+ times. If your team is fairly low in the K category and can tolerate some K's, go for it, but if you already have 2 or more guys with 100+ K's on the season, i wouldn't do it unless you are dropping a guy that strikes out a lot

Most leagues don't have K's against the batters as a cat. Thats why Soriano is a top 3 pick. If Ks counted he'd be knocked down a couple notches.

Kearns will be fine. He's a great hitter and he's young enough to overcome an injury. I'm hoping he stays healthy all year and hits 30 and 100. Something he should do easily if healthy.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Liberty30 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:32 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:Most leagues don't have K's against the batters as a cat. Thats why Soriano is a top 3 pick. If Ks counted he'd be knocked down a couple notches.

Mine does. :,-(

I've forfeited that category, but will balance it out by winning the BB category. Averages out to if I was middle of the pack with both, but I am able to earn more pts in other offensive categories that way.
Liberty30
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:15 am

Someone just dropped him in my league. I have the last waiver priority, so I'll try for him... we'll see what happens.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby unclepaulie » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:41 am

juggernaut118 wrote:i compare kearns to thome...both will smack a load of balls out of the park, but with that, they will also strikeout 150+ times. If your team is fairly low in the K category and can tolerate some K's, go for it, but if you already have 2 or more guys with 100+ K's on the season, i wouldn't do it unless you are dropping a guy that strikes out a lot

No he does not. Where did you get 150 k's from?? He's never at any level of baseball projected to strike out that many times.
Image <-----Meet the "NEW" Mets

"I pity the mind that can only spell a word one way"
-Thomas Jefferson
unclepaulie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: @ your house with my dirty shoes on ya white couch!

Return to Baseball Leftovers