Some help for a Rookie.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Some help for a Rookie..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Some help for a Rookie..

Postby Smizzy » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:27 pm

Hey guys,i love this site.

First time player here...I have some questions for you Vets...

I have several leagues going this year...ALL yahoo,i figured id teach myself how to play before i jumped into a money league.

I have 4 H2H leagues and 4 ROUT leagues...Now i undestand the concepts of both...but in my league i noticed it say my pitchers can only throw 1250 IP...how do i know when to sit somebody who is pitching that day..

Right now if they are pitching that day,i start them,no question asked,im sure that its going to burn off my IP,so can someone help me for a stratigy(sp)?

Alos M.Lecroy and C.Floyd...are guys worth keeping on the bench if ther are injured..I have no room on my DL with nomar and pettite....so are these guys droppable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"Clutch does exist, I've got one in my car"--BobbyRoberto
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Slapweasel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:00 pm

In the case of the 1250 IP, it averages out to 7 IP per day. There is a little link at the bottom of your team page, in the lower right-hand corner. It says "Maximum/Minimum Games Played". This will pop up a box that will average out where all of your positions are on track to finish.

As far as who to start, always go with your aces and 'good' pitchers against poor offenses. It is never fool-proof, but that's how I 'wing it'.

Dropping Floyd and M. Lecroy are questions that your waiver-wire will answer. I think both are "droppable" in my league, but that may not be the case in yours.
-The Self-Proclaimed Voice Of Truth And Reason-
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel-
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:11 pm

So i should let the waiver wire determin if i should drop a guy,not his injury?

Makes sence...why lose him if i dont gain anything.

how can someone play more than 162 games....what does this setting effect?

What can i do to be succesfull and in my leagues...what are the little intangibles i need to do to win.

I drafted decent teams..of course the last 4 are better than the 1st 4...as i drafted more i got a different prespective on a players value...That was something i coudn't comprehend...no matter how much reading i did...i had already giving guys value....some of them were not worth it.

Im learning as i go....so any help about what the road ahead has instore for me would be greatly appreciated.

Friendliness: %

Postby Smizzy » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:14 pm

I forgot to login.
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Smizzy » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:28 pm

Bump
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slapweasel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:39 pm

If you have, let's say two shortstops on your roster and you keep switching them in & out, you'll hit 162 games played before the end of the season.

Some little things are:

In Yahoo, they have a screen where you can see what a guy has done over the past week, month and season. Check these, because guys run hot & cold. You'll get a feel for how that player is playing, and what stats he is producing. You can balance your lineup that way.

Try to always start your 'Aces'. These guys are aces for a reason. Pitchers you consider "fifth starters" in your league can be rotated off your roster. The "fifth starter" on a fantasy team is usually a guy who is on a roll, getting huge stats in a needed category or facing a bunch of crappy teams.

Don't panic early on. If a guy has posted consistent stats for a few years, hell probably do it again. Guys off to hot starts happen every year, and they usually fade back to where they were. Don't trade Aubrey Huff for Tony Womack.

Don't make trades just to make trades. Go back a few seasons with a guy's stats and see what he did last year and the year before. Some guys, like Chipper Jones are consistently good players, the same goes for the bad ones. Make trades if it makes sense for your team.

Also, if a guy offers you a stupid trade, offer him a counter-offer. I've found that you can usually take advantage of idiots like this if you are nice to them....lol. Don't just offer him a dumb trade in return. You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Have fun. It ain't a job, so treat it like a game. It makes learning about all of baseball more fun.
-The Self-Proclaimed Voice Of Truth And Reason-
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel-
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers