Anyone have an opion on SP ESTES?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone have an opion on SP ESTES??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby colour wolf » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:08 am

Leiter Fan wrote:he can look like an ace one game, then come back as a disaster the next game.

That's exactly right. If I recall correctly, he had a similar run last year, which caused some fool to pick him up. He is absolutely not worth having. Even in his 'good' years, he has a WHIP at or above 1.5. He has terrible control, and pitches in Colorado. AVOID.
colour wolf
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PacBellParker » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:17 am

I have picked him up and put him on my bench for possible spot starts outside of Colorado. I remember his 19 win year in SF when he had the greatest curveball around. Zitoesque. Then he mentally lost it. Everyone started calling him Sean Headcase. He stole that cop's bike. Then he shuffled around from team to team.

However . . . I heard from some friends who went down to spring training that his breaking ball looked like the Estes of old. I just had to take the chance, even if that curve won't work at Coors Field. Time will tell, and a bench spot doesn't hurt much.
PacBellParker
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pedantic » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:24 am

Everyone's just desperate to get the next Loaiza and blindly pick up any pitcher who is doing well to do it. :-b
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby colour wolf » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:33 am

PacBellParker wrote: I just had to take the chance, even if that curve won't work at Coors Field. Time will tell, and a bench spot doesn't hurt much.

Well, it hurts in that you could have an actual productive player on your bench. Good luck!
colour wolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:10 am

Please please please please ....

stay away ....

Colorado plays the next 3 of 4 series at home and lets see just how "tempting" he is then. I promise you, he should be on the wire at that time too. Wait till May, then decide .. hopefully by then you'll see the light
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby polyphonic » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:31 am

jesus christ himself couldn't pitch well in Coors. Go with another option on the wire. If someone else wins the league because they picked up Shawn Estes (!) pitching for Colorado (!!), tip your cap to them.
serious as a heart attack
makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:19 am

polyphonic wrote:jesus christ himself couldn't pitch well in Coors. Go with another option on the wire. If someone else wins the league because they picked up Shawn Estes (!) pitching for Colorado (!!), tip your cap to them.

That's 'cause he plays center field. :-b :-D
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers