Prior ethics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior ethics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prior ethics

Postby Danimal » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:36 am

Ya'll probably saw the post today about Mark Prior. I've been considering a few trades during the past week due to his injury. With the latest news, I'm in a quandry; how unethical is it right now to try and deal him?
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:37 am

You mean unethical as in trying to dupe another owner? Who could possibly play fantasy baseball and be unaware of his situation? :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thetruth » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:45 am

if you don't mind possibly pissing the other guy off, i don't see anything wrong with it. if he's a dumbass and trades for an injured player, he doesn't deserve to win anyways.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Quaker » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:49 am

Asymmetric knowledge is one of the characteristics of fantasy baseball. The people who know things will generally do better than those you don't. If you're going to engage in a transaction, it's your responsibility to know what is involved in the transaction, not someone else's. If you can take advantage of someone limited knowledge, it's your prerogative to do so. That's fantasy baseball.

Personally I hate the yellow notes Yahoo puts by players. It levels the playing field between those who do research and those who don't.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:51 am

I would make the trade... Fantasy baseball doesn't have to be fair

If a guy is dumb enough to take a injuried player then go aheasd, he should even be playing fantasy baseball.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:19 am

I do think it is unethical to trade a player you know to be injured when the other player is unaware of this. You are moving 'damaged goods' in that case. But with Yahoo's designating players with a 'DL', this is now rarely the case.

In this case, people are aware that Prior is currently on the DL. If you offer him in a trade, I think it is fair of you to assume that the person you are offering him to is aware that he is on the DL and injured. It is then incumbent upon them to determine the severity of the injury and to decide if they want to take the risk of trading for him.

You don't need to tell him every rumor that you've heard about Prior's injury. Why would you when the rumors are unsubstantiated? As it stands, the Cubs are keeping things rather hush-hush. In fact, you don't need to tell him anything more than that Prior is currently on the DL.

If you want to trade Prior, make an offer. If you want to be ethical, don't lie if you are asked any questions. If you are asked about Prior's injury, it is fair to simply say that you don't know how serious it is and that you aren't sure when he is expected back. Really, that's all that anybody knows at this point.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:09 am

ramble2 wrote:If you offer him in a trade, I think it is fair of you to assume that the person you are offering him to is aware that he is on the DL and injured.

Exactly. It's not like its a little-known player and injury that could fly under the radar. I think its safe to assume that all baseball fans are privy to this info. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chiuondis » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:10 am

if u get an awesome deal then ur the man..hahah.. g/l
chiuondis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jonnyblack » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:08 pm

I've been contemplating trading prior, too. Last week i rejected an offer that would have sent Prior and O. Cabrera away for K. Brown and J. Guillen. While i didn't like that specific deal (the guy put guillen on waivers the day i regected the offer) I thought the prior for brown (along with some other mid value players) was at least intriguing. Am I jumping the gun here, or do you think i should jump on this, hope KB stays healthy, and never look back?
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby Danimal » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:11 pm

Thanks for the input. Rambler was especially enlightening.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers