mvp baseball=impossible - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

mvp baseball=impossible

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

mvp baseball=impossible

Postby thrash » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:30 am

I bought MVP baseball this week and I think its a good game and all but pitching in this game is incredibly difficult and I find myself giving up tons of runs a game....any advice?
thrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:51 am

Are you holding down the pitch button until it gets to the bottom of the meter? You have to hold down the button, and once it gets to the bottom let go, and press it again when the line enters the green accuracy zone on the meter. Once you have that down, you have to start working the corners. A fastball high and in/away to start an AB is usually a good idea. I don't think I've ever given up a hit on an approach like that. Second pitch, you can try something off-speed like a low curve/change/knuckle - whichever that pitcher throws especially well. Sliders should move away from the strike zone if you're up in the count (0-2, 1-2), but if it's even 1-1, 2-2, 2-1, then a slider breaking towards the strike zone might get them to leave the pitch hoping for a ball. Try to move pitches around from away-inside, high-low, etc. And mix up speeds a lot. If you're up in the count 0-2, 1-2, then a slider/splitter breaking out of the strikezone, but near a hot zone seems to tempt the hitters more and they chase if it's near a hot zone. The main thing is don't throw mistake pitches, and make sure you're using full effectiveness. Also, once you really get the hang of it, if you try to stop meter just before the end of the green accuracy zone, the pitch will be extremely effective and get batters to chase, as opposed to stopping the meter in the middle of the green accuracy zone. And make sure your relievers get enough time to warm up in the bullpen. If you bring them in early, their stamina won't be great, but gradually improves at about a 5% increase per pitch. A mound visit while a guy is warming up in the 'pen can greatly increase how fast a pitcher gets ready, so that's a good tactic. Any other Q's, just ask.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:49 pm

Pitching is VERY easy for me and I find myself not needing to use the pen in at least 33% of my games. Also I usually don't give up more then 3 runs a game, ever. All my starters have an ERA of under 3. My #5 starter (Damian Moss) has an ERA of 2.08. Hitting is much harder for me (On All Star) and this whole perfect hitting conmtrol or whatever its called doesn't really work as well as advetised.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby thrash » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:32 pm

Thanks alot...I wasn't holding down the button. I just tapped it and then thought you had to get the curser right in the green for accuracy. It was SO frustrating...

thanks
thrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:55 am

No problem.

And as for ERA for my starting staff, they're all under 2, with a couple under 1. Mark Prior also has 3 perfect games. I think it's time to move up to All-Star difficulty..... ;-7

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davus » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:52 am

Zito is God wrote:Pitching is VERY easy for me and I find myself not needing to use the pen in at least 33% of my games. Also I usually don't give up more then 3 runs a game, ever. All my starters have an ERA of under 3. My #5 starter (Damian Moss) has an ERA of 2.08. Hitting is much harder for me (On All Star) and this whole perfect hitting conmtrol or whatever its called doesn't really work as well as advetised.

Yeah, the True Control hitting is complete BS. I much prefer the cursor from WorldSeries Baseball 2k3. In MVP, if you want to hit a homerun, you pretty much just have to press up and get your timing right on a good pitch. Too easy and not realistic at all. :-t
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Sexy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:00 am

I've pretty much grown tired of this game. It's okay, but I don't like the fact that you HAVE to control the minor league teams also. If you call up one guy you have to make multiple roster moves, etc... And hitting HR's is way too easy. I've also won the world series twice and even though I am saving the game, I lose my MVP points and go back to 850??? Frustrating
"Live well, this is not a rehersal"
Big Sexy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Quaker » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:42 am

The pitching-batting interface is best in High Heat in my opinion.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bucsfan04 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:55 pm

Pitching is pretty easy for me two. With the Pirates, i have one of the best eras in the league. However, i can never score more than 2 or 3 runs. Any tips?
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Return to General Talk