Whats better? MVP OR ESPN BASEBALL GAME? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Whats better? MVP OR ESPN BASEBALL GAME?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davus » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:52 pm

bucsfan04 wrote:I still can't find a bad review for MVP. That's my choice.

I've never seen a bad review for ANY EA game. Face it, the gaming magazines and websites will not ever give EA a bad review, they probably threaten to take away tons of advertising dollars or something.

MVP has plenty of problems. I'd rate it as OK at best, that is playing the PC and PS2 versions. The graphics are great but the hitting is gay and too easy and there are way too many gameplay bugs. YOu shouldn't have to spend 2 hours adjusting sliders to get a good game of baseball.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jebatzel » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:27 pm

I remember the Madden pc version a year or 2 getting bad reviews.
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby LBJackal » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:32 pm

I havn't adjusted the sliders at all and gameplay is fine. If you think it's too easy then play on MVP mode. I doubt you'd find that easy.

The problem with rating games is that for the most part, there are two kinds of people: Pro EA, and Anti EA. Personally, I see nothing wrong with the game and the only EA games I've played before are NHL 2002 and Madden 98/2004. I don't think I'm either Pro/Anti EA, but I'm not going to bash everything they make just because they're the best. It's like being a Yankee hater: you ignore everything they they do superior to every other team, and point out the few mistakes they've made.

If you guys want the cursor that makes you predict where the pitch is going to be, that's WAAAAY more unrealistic than MVP's hitting style, which is actually a pretty god representation of real hitting. No game is perfect. EA is pretty damn good. The gameplay is superior to all others according to reviews, the Dynasty mode is awesome if you want to control more than just an MLB team, and the bug that takes away your MVP points is the only real problem I see. That, and lefty HR's. If hitting is too easy, and pitching is too easy, change the difficulty!

So EA bashers: GO FIND SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE TO DO! (Yes davus, I'm talking to you)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davus » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:58 pm

LOL

So I'm an EA basher because I think that one of their games is way over-hyped and over-rated? I don't think so. I like GOOD games, if you want to praise a mediocre baseball game that has good points and bad points (just like most other games) be my guest. Me, I'm a fan of Madden...always liked NHL and FIFA pretty well. Lots of EA's other games are pretty cool too. No, I'm not a basher, you just don't want to admit that the game has a bunch of problems.

http://www.highheat2004.net/forums/inde ... owforum=23

All I know is this. You will rarely ever see a poor review of an EA game, just like you will rarely ever see a poor review of an automobile from a major manufacturer. Why? Because it's the dollars from EA and car manufacturers is what keeps gaming media outlets and auto magazines, respectively, in business. They don't have the balls to tell the source of their income to go back to the drawing board and come back when there game/car doesn't suck. That's just the way it is. That's why you have to go with reader reviews and forums, etc. When you look at these OBJECTIVE reviews, you see a different story.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemranking ... mid=919276

Is it a horrible game? No. Is it a great game? Hell no. It's got awesome graphics, good features but the gameplay is majorly weak. Hitting in baseball requires...AIMING that stick at where the ball is coming over the plate, so don't tell me how just pushing up to hit a homer and getting some timing down is more realistic than anything. That's just stupid. The hitting is overhyped and doesn't deliver anything. THe pitching interface is really cool but needs to be refined a hell of a lot more. It is way too easy to hit the exact spots you are going for, regardless of the control of the pitcher. No way should Neil Cotts be able to hit every spot DEAD on just like Mark Prior does.

In conclusion. I think the game is alright, but Worldseries 2k3 was a better baseball game. MVP has done some things right and the graphics are great! It still has at least another year to go before it really hits a homerun.

OH yeah, and as for doing something productive...YOU HAVE PLAYED 90 GAMES OF MVP, I don't think you have any room to talk! When you get a job and do something other than play video games every waking minute of the day, get back to me. :-B
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:13 am

I did admit it has problems. I've never denied that. But it's better and more realistic than most games, and definately better than any baseball game I've played. Pitching is more accuarete of real life, hitting is more accurate of real life, same with fielding and throwing. Yes, pressing up and timing your swing properly is a more accurate depiction of real-life hitting than moving a cursor over where you think the ball will be pitched. Have you ever played real baseball? And I'll say it again, if you're finding it too easy, then increase the difficulty. It's not that complicated. The only major flaws in the game are lefties not hitting homeruns and losing MVP points for no apparent reason. Some people claim their OF's take too long to get to the ball, but if you get a good jump, it's actually quite easy to hold runners to a double, or even a single when the ball goes to the wall. You're making it seem like this is the worst game released in years just to offset all of the people who really enjoy it despite not being able to hit homeruns with lefties.

And as for playing 90 games, a lot were simmed. I go to university, so of course I don't have a job and play lots of video games. Isn't that what living on campus is all about?

I can't stand people who thrive on bringing negativity to every situation. Make like siamese twins and split. And then one of you die.

(BTW: that's a Family Guy quote, I'm obviously not wishing death upon this person. So mods don't delete the post :-° )

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davusreturns » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:32 am

Jackal.

Yes, I have played plent of baseball in my life. You have to try to put the bat where you think the ball is going to be in the strike zone. You don't decide you are going to hit a homerun and close your eyes and swing...the bat needs to connect with the bat! You aren't going to connect if you are swinging high and the pitch is low or vice-versa, but in MVP it does.

I don't like the games and have noticed some problems with it that tons of other people also have noticed but don't seem to bother you.

I don't think the game is that great, you think it is. Stop taking it personally you big baby! :-t

Anyway, anybody who is considering this game, I suggest you read about it a lot to see if you think the MULTITUDE of problems in the game are going to be a problem for you. PC owners can pray for another patch, cause the first one did absolutely nothing for most of the problems. Console owners are stuck with the game in its current beta status.

P.S. I'm getting an error when trying to post when logged in. Says "Please enter a name when posting as guest" but I am logged in!
davusreturns

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to General Talk