Mark Prior may require Tommy John surgery - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Prior may require Tommy John surgery

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:49 pm

Let's stop this curse stuff. Sheesh.

I'm not going to worry till I see the report. At least I spent a second rounder on him...

And I said I wouldn't pick an SP in the first three rounds this year, until Prior fell to me... ah, well.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtarail » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:47 am

Zito is God wrote:The more I hear about Prior the more I start to believe the rumor. It just seems like a injury that the team REPORTS he has cannot be serious enough to put him out this late. Out until Early June AT LEAST is my prediction.

I don't understand this. If the Tommy John rumor is true (and I really doubt that it is) then he obviously won't pitch this year.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:25 am

Cubs today dismissed this as an "internet rumor" on the WGN broadcast. They said his elbow ligaments are completely healthy.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby hybrid » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:42 am

just because he hasn't come along as quickly as people would like, you begin to believe these rumors that have nothing to back them up? his achillies made it so he could not throw as early as he would of liked, when he started it acted up so they shut him down. mix in a couple set backs and this is what it looks like, i think people are underestimating how long it takes for a pitcher to get in season form especially with what has happened to him. he has said he usually starts getting ready for the season in january to be ready, so basically 3 months for him. i think it's odd that despite not having the arm strength and his setbacks people expect him back so soon when it takes 3 months when he is completely healthy. i would personally say the safest bet is around the all star break and if he comes back any sooner consider it a bonus.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby fiz » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:52 am

couldnt have said it better hybrid
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby phatjagz14 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:01 am

agreed B-)
It's like I've died and gone to heaven......but then they realized that it wasn't my time, so they sent me to a brewery.
phatjagz14
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:27 am

From CBS Sportsline...

Dusty Baker denies Prior rumors

Mark Prior, SP CHC

News: Cubs manager Dusty Baker vehemently shot down the report in Sunday's Newark Star-Ledger that he is confiding to close friends that Mark Prior's injury status is "bleak" and that anonymous "baseball executives" say Prior might need Tommy John surgery. "I guess somebody is trying to start something," Baker said. "People are saying I'm telling intimate friends that? I don't have any intimate friends like that I'd tell, No. 1, and No. 2, it's a lie. That's as big a lie as I've ever heard, and I wish whoever started this or wrote this would leave my name out of it."

Analysis: As expected, it sounds like talk that Prior's injury is severe enough to require Tommy John surgery is pure rumor. However, he's still pretty much at the rehabilitation stage where most pitchers were at when spring training opened, so his return is in the fairly distant future. Monitor Prior's situation closely, as it's unlikely he'll be ready to help a Fantasy team in the next month or two.

Friendliness: %

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:39 am

From SportingNews:

The team's web site reports the Cubs laughed off rumors that Prior needs Tommy John surgery. Prior has been working his way back from an Achilles' tendond injury, and the team claims his arm is fine other than not having the built-up strength to start the season yet.

Fantasy Source spin: It's a good thing that the Cubs can laugh it off; fantasy owners are getting pretty ticked by Prior's absence. After initially saying Prior could be back in mid-May, the team has backed away from setting a date for his return. That isn't a good sign for folks hoping he'll be on the mound in May. (Rob Hurtt/TSN)
mikey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Prior

Postby PacmanJr » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:41 am

Further, Prior was asked point blank on Chicago local news about TJ surgery and he said it was BS.
PacmanJr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jayman » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:44 am

I said this way back in Sept.:

=============
I can't stand Dusty (as a manager, I'm sure he's a great person). He over uses Prior all the time. I mean, the guy gets three weeks off (DL), comes back fresh and DOMINATES... then Dusty lets him throw 130 pitches in a game that the Cubs are winning 7-1? The next two starts Prior wasn't so great... and I really need him.

Well, tonight it's the Mets and I hope the Cubs win and I hope Dusty doesn't let Prior throw a ton of pitches.
=============
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers