Mark Prior may require Tommy John surgery - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Prior may require Tommy John surgery

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LCBOY » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:12 pm

The piece of "news" sounds like BS to me. The article cites unnamed "baseball executives"? Who are they? Are they Cub's officials?
Last edited by LCBOY on Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby fezzik » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:14 pm

ok, I wasn't sure how reputable the star-leger was (not familiar with the publication)... I guess the word Star in the name kind of made me suspicious. Like one of those bogus entertainment magazines. I just thought I'd throw something else out there...wow, that stinks for the Cubs if he goes under the knife.
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

Postby Runningman » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:24 pm

I find it hard to believe that the newark star-ledger scooped every other baseball publication in America.
Runningman
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 160
Joined: 5 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago

Postby LCBOY » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:29 pm

Here is some info from ESPN:

Prior on the road to Wellville

Mark Prior hopes to work from the bullpen mound this weekend as he continues his rehabilitation from right Achilles tendinitis and an inflamed right elbow, the Chicago Sun-Times reported April 9. Prior, who is expected to be out until May, appears close after he played catch on flat ground April 8 and made 55 throws. That means his workout is being stepped up as he nears the mound. The last six throws of that 55 were made from the stretch. ''Not bad,'' Prior said afterward, ''but I can't hit the chest.''

This info is current as of 4/9 which was this past Thursday. So why would Prior be throwing if he needs surgery?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:31 pm

I think he would be throwing to determine if he can play through it or not. That is my best guess....if he needs surgery anyways, why not at least try to go out and play some until he can't handle it anymore. I see your point, and believe me, I still don't believe the original post completely, but it does make sense.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:34 pm

slomo007 wrote:I think he would be throwing to determine if he can play through it or not. That is my best guess....if he needs surgery anyways, why not at least try to go out and play some until he can't handle it anymore. I see your point, and believe me, I still don't believe the original post completely, but it does make sense.


hmm....If Prior's elbow is trashed and he needs surgery, the Cubs gain nothing by waiting. A pitcher needs about 18 months of recovery after Tommy John surgery...I picked Prior with my #1 pick! :~(
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby Zito is God » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:57 pm

LCBOY wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I think he would be throwing to determine if he can play through it or not. That is my best guess....if he needs surgery anyways, why not at least try to go out and play some until he can't handle it anymore. I see your point, and believe me, I still don't believe the original post completely, but it does make sense.


hmm....If Prior's elbow is trashed and he needs surgery, the Cubs gain nothing by waiting. A pitcher needs about 18 months of recovery after Tommy John surgery...I picked Prior with my #1 pick! :~(


Lol!

Anyways, they wouldn't wait if he needed surgery, they would have already tried to get through with it because they don't want the same thing happening to prior that did to Leiber (out for a LONG time) , however, if he DOES need surgery (which i doubt) this is the biggest blow to any team withing the last 5 years (if not more).
Image

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4169
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Postby DK » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:50 pm

fezzik wrote:ok, I wasn't sure how reputable the star-leger was (not familiar with the publication)... I guess the word Star in the name kind of made me suspicious. Like one of those bogus entertainment magazines. I just thought I'd throw something else out there...wow, that stinks for the Cubs if he goes under the knife.


The Ledger is a reputable paper. It's not an Enquirer or anything like that. It's just like any other newspaper. I get it and the New York Times.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Umm

Postby norwich2003 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:26 pm

This News sounds fishy to me, he has been pitching on flat surfaces all week
norwich2003
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

..

Postby JamesBond007 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:15 pm

As someone who just traded for Prior in a dynasty league, i hope this news story is bogus. I for one don't believe it. Theres no way on earth if the Cubs even thought Prior needed TJ surgery they would let him throw at all much less air it out 55 times. I also find it curious that none of the major sources have this information if it is indeed true.
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 386
Joined: 17 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact