Mark Prior may require Tommy John surgery - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Prior may require Tommy John surgery

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LCBOY » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:12 pm

The piece of "news" sounds like BS to me. The article cites unnamed "baseball executives"? Who are they? Are they Cub's officials?
Last edited by LCBOY on Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:14 pm

ok, I wasn't sure how reputable the star-leger was (not familiar with the publication)... I guess the word Star in the name kind of made me suspicious. Like one of those bogus entertainment magazines. I just thought I'd throw something else out there...wow, that stinks for the Cubs if he goes under the knife.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Runningman » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:24 pm

I find it hard to believe that the newark star-ledger scooped every other baseball publication in America.
Runningman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LCBOY » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:29 pm

Here is some info from ESPN:

Prior on the road to Wellville

Mark Prior hopes to work from the bullpen mound this weekend as he continues his rehabilitation from right Achilles tendinitis and an inflamed right elbow, the Chicago Sun-Times reported April 9. Prior, who is expected to be out until May, appears close after he played catch on flat ground April 8 and made 55 throws. That means his workout is being stepped up as he nears the mound. The last six throws of that 55 were made from the stretch. ''Not bad,'' Prior said afterward, ''but I can't hit the chest.''

This info is current as of 4/9 which was this past Thursday. So why would Prior be throwing if he needs surgery?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:31 pm

I think he would be throwing to determine if he can play through it or not. That is my best guess....if he needs surgery anyways, why not at least try to go out and play some until he can't handle it anymore. I see your point, and believe me, I still don't believe the original post completely, but it does make sense.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LCBOY » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:34 pm

slomo007 wrote:I think he would be throwing to determine if he can play through it or not. That is my best guess....if he needs surgery anyways, why not at least try to go out and play some until he can't handle it anymore. I see your point, and believe me, I still don't believe the original post completely, but it does make sense.

hmm....If Prior's elbow is trashed and he needs surgery, the Cubs gain nothing by waiting. A pitcher needs about 18 months of recovery after Tommy John surgery...I picked Prior with my #1 pick! :~(
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:57 pm

LCBOY wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I think he would be throwing to determine if he can play through it or not. That is my best guess....if he needs surgery anyways, why not at least try to go out and play some until he can't handle it anymore. I see your point, and believe me, I still don't believe the original post completely, but it does make sense.

hmm....If Prior's elbow is trashed and he needs surgery, the Cubs gain nothing by waiting. A pitcher needs about 18 months of recovery after Tommy John surgery...I picked Prior with my #1 pick! :~(

Lol!

Anyways, they wouldn't wait if he needed surgery, they would have already tried to get through with it because they don't want the same thing happening to prior that did to Leiber (out for a LONG time) , however, if he DOES need surgery (which i doubt) this is the biggest blow to any team withing the last 5 years (if not more).

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:50 pm

fezzik wrote:ok, I wasn't sure how reputable the star-leger was (not familiar with the publication)... I guess the word Star in the name kind of made me suspicious. Like one of those bogus entertainment magazines. I just thought I'd throw something else out there...wow, that stinks for the Cubs if he goes under the knife.

The Ledger is a reputable paper. It's not an Enquirer or anything like that. It's just like any other newspaper. I get it and the New York Times.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Umm

Postby norwich2003 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:26 pm

This News sounds fishy to me, he has been pitching on flat surfaces all week
norwich2003
T-Ball Trainer

Postby JamesBond007 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:15 pm

As someone who just traded for Prior in a dynasty league, i hope this news story is bogus. I for one don't believe it. Theres no way on earth if the Cubs even thought Prior needed TJ surgery they would let him throw at all much less air it out 55 times. I also find it curious that none of the major sources have this information if it is indeed true.
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers