20 Team H2H Leagues..Everybody should be in one.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

20 Team H2H Leagues..Everybody should be in one..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

20 Team H2H Leagues..Everybody should be in one..

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:03 am

By far, out of all the types of leagues I've ever done (10 team, 12 team, Roto, NL/AL only, etc) in all my years, the one that consistently commands the most of my attention is twenty team, head to head league that I'm in. SOOO much better and more competitive than a 10 or 12 teamer, and head to head is much more fun than Roto, where if you get behind early, it's easier to give up hope.

In the 20 team league, there's much more strategy involved. If a starter goes down, you can't just scour the waiver wire and pick up a capable mid level guy like a Shannon Stewart, Jose Guillen or Mark Loretta, or other guys I've seen on the free agent wire in my smaller leagues. You can still find your hidden gems like a Ryan Vogelsong, or a warm body like Bobby Higginson, but in the twenty teamer, it really requires that you know your stuff for the draft, and makes you work to try to pull off some savvy trades, and anticipate things beforehand. Looking at the pitching matchups, batter vs pitcher stats, and other split stats are all keys to success and keep things really interesting and fun.

No offense, but I think anybody with a pulse and some general knowledge of the sport can pull off a good finish in at least one of their ump-teen 10-12 team leagues, but it takes real talent and skill to be crowned king of a twenty teamer. In my small leagues, I set my lineups a week in advance and if somebody goes down, no big deal, you can grab somebody just as good (in most cases) off the waiver wire, or trade with somebody that has a bunch of good guys on their bench. In the big league, I check it every day, and when inclined spend hours at a time researching and sweating over live box scores. And like in real life, it often times takes days or even weeks of negotiating to get a trade done. But that's the fun of it.

I highly reccommend it to all you guys. Don't know why I don't see more of em, but you really should give it a shot.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:08 am

I would like to be in a 20 team league, but it's hard to find 20 people who will actually manage their team the whole year. In 20 team yahoo public leagues, usually at least half the people sign up and quit after a week or two.

Postby thetruth » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:16 am

i agree with guest man. i'd like to do it, but its hard to find 20 dedicated people, let alone 12 for the league im running this year. im pretty sure if i told the other managers the league would be 20 teams, most of them wouldn't be too happy because they get less recognizable players. im actually in a 20 H2H but like 5 people are active and the commisioner is a complete asshat who made like 25 scoring categories, most of them meaningless. its on my list of things to do before i die though.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:17 am

Yeah, I guess I'm lucky in that respect. In my twenty teamer, which started last year, we only had one dead team, and by mid year, the commish froze his team It was a a keeper league, so this year, he just gave it to somebody from one of his other leagues that he knew would be active. I guess the key is just recruiting the right guys into the league and keeping them there. When everybody participates, it's great. Try starting your own, and invite owners from other leagues that you know are good ones, or buddies that you trust.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:23 am

[quote="thetruth"] im pretty sure if i told the other managers the league would be 20 teams, most of them wouldn't be too happy because they get less recognizable players. quote]

That's the fun of it though. Each team only has one or two 'superstars', and then it's up to you to fill out your rosters with capable guys. If you're smart enough, you don't have to start the Damian Easley's and Eddie Perez's of the world. I mean, I ended up with Prior and Matt Morris anchoring my rotation, with an infield of Aubrey Huff, Derek Jeter, Jose Reyes, and Aramis Ramierez. So it's not like you're fielding a bunch of t-ball players. It just makes you think a bit more. Not every team is loaded with all superstars, but what's the fun of that anyway?

Postby thetruth » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:25 am

I'd have no problem with it, it's the other less hardcore friends of mine who'd have problems unfortunately.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:31 am

Hey guest.... REGISTER!!!! You sound like you might know a little something about baseball.

Im fortunate enough to be in a 16 team keeper league thats going into the 3rd year with 15 of the original 16 owners.

I havent stepped up to the plate and been in a 20 team league yet but I know what you mean bye how advanced player research gets.

In my 12 team leagues I'm scouring the waiver wire and thinking
Steve Finley or Jose Cruz, old and reliable 3rd tier or mid career streak player?

In my 16 team league those guys are starting in active lineups and the likes of Juan Cruz, Loretta, Vogelsong,.................. Are asked about in trade inquiries.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby INeedaFavoriteTeam » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:46 am

i'm in a 20 team league right now and it is freaking insane. Almost the entire lineup of 6-7 teams are taken. I remember last week I saw some cleveland pitcher Stanford pitching a decent game...I went on WW just to see his stats, and realized that he was already picked up by someone 2 weeks ago!! you have to keep a close eye on backup of backup closer when you're in 20 teams...definately fun and rewarding. I was so excited when i found out Silva was still on FA last week and snatched him up in a second haha.
INeedaFavoriteTeam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pedantic » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:07 am

Anonymous wrote:
thetruth wrote: im pretty sure if i told the other managers the league would be 20 teams, most of them wouldn't be too happy because they get less recognizable players.

That's the fun of it though. Each team only has one or two 'superstars', and then it's up to you to fill out your rosters with capable guys. If you're smart enough, you don't have to start the Damian Easley's and Eddie Perez's of the world. I mean, I ended up with Prior and Matt Morris anchoring my rotation, with an infield of Aubrey Huff, Derek Jeter, Jose Reyes, and Aramis Ramierez. So it's not like you're fielding a bunch of t-ball players. It just makes you think a bit more. Not every team is loaded with all superstars, but what's the fun of that anyway?

Sounds an awful lot like AL/NL-only leagues. I prefer AL/NL-only leagues to huge leagues with 20 people.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby fishingmn » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:05 am

I'm in an 18 team 5x5 H2H league which is starting out fun. I'm guessing it might be my favorite league.

I'm leading 8-2 going into today's final game of the week.

Not only is it 18 teams but we start 5 SP's, 3 RP's & 1 P so the Pitching is really thin at the bottom. You think about the fact that there's only 30 closers so some teams have only 1.

My team should do pretty well all year I think. :-D
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers