A-Rod Owners: Be VERY scared... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod Owners: Be VERY scared...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A-Rod Owners: Be VERY scared...

Postby kcs261 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:10 pm

I've said it a million times, but some just won't accept it. Any signficant back/neck injury is the ABSOLUTE WORST injury for a hitter. Instead of DLing and taking the time off to have surgery and/or do what is necessary to get healthy, these players typically play through their injuries and play well below their normal standards. All you have to do is look at Helton's decreased production the second half of last year, Alfonzo's a few year ago, Cabrera's last year, etc. etc. So Texas may make light of A-Rod's herniated disc. But as a shrewd fantasy owner, you should take it very seriously. So if I had my draft coming up, I would NOT draft A-Rod in round 1. No thanks. Anf if I was already n A-Rod owner, I'd be looking for the best possible deal now. If you can get another first round player and some change, I'd do it without hesitation. With a herniated disc, I think you can expect a DL stint, at least extra days off, or diminished HR production. This is the kind of nagging injury that doesn't just go away. And expecting a guy to hit when his back or neck hurts every time he swings is unrealistic. Be very scared.
Last edited by kcs261 on Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AlexG » Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:24 pm

100 % Agree !
AlexG
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mkoss » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:21 am

I actually completed a trade where I gave away A-Rod 2 days before this happened. So, luckily, I got full market value for him (Clemens, Tejada, and Helton) and now I don't have to worry about it!

Thanks, trevis!!
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

ugh!

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:06 am

i have #1 pick and we draft in 12 hours....i was going w/ arod all the way, now i dont know...i understand serious neck injuries can hamper players, but from the reports it doesnt seem serious...are they downplaying this? did he fly all the way back to texas because its worse than it seems or because he's the 250 million dollar man and hicks will pamper his investment??

UGH, UGH UGH!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby silentmist » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:14 am

i suggest you go vlad/rj
silentmist

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby eftda » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:07 am

i had my draft today

i picked vlad over a-rod becuase of this injury

sucks for my bext friend who got him.

hehehe
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: A-Rod Owners: Be VERY scared...

Postby davegod2 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:14 am

kcs261 wrote:So if I had my draft coming up, I would NOT draft A-Rod in round 1. No thanks. Anf if I was already n A-Rod owner, I'd be looking for the best possible deal now.

Are you kidding me? Boy, I wish you were in my league. Now is the worst possible time to trade him, when his value is at its lowest. But it sure is a great time to try to trade for him. I have a draft coming up in a few days, and if he drops to me, I will be more than happy to take him. Nothing like a little bit of panic to separate the winners from the losers....
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
davegod2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:28 am

I have him in one league. I'm not real worried about it, but I would have traded him beforehand for the right deal. Bad news because his worth probably drops a bit now. Hopefully he starts the season hot and I can deal him away for proper value.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:12 am

Texas expects Arod to be fine by opening day. I certaintly would still take him 1st round. Hysteria leads to panic. Panic leads to bad decisions.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby cardinals15 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:42 pm

The thing about herniated disks is they generally don't get better without a nice long rest period, or surgery. Arod will play through the pain, get his cortisone shots and still might be able to put together a nice season. But, by nice season I think overall Jeter or Tejada in the 2nd or 3rd round might be a better value bet and let somebody else assume the risk. If Texas is out of the race by the all star break they may shut Arod down and protect their investment. In terms of everything Texas is saying right now, you gotta believe they have to downplay it so people will continue to buy season tickets. If they came out and said Arod has a herniated disk and may not be 100 percent all season people wouldn't buy tickets.
cardinals15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers