Biggest New Owner Mistakes? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Biggest New Owner Mistakes?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:17 am

Meetssg wrote:Wrong I won my 12 team 6x5 league without a single closer last year.

H2H or roto?

H2H is possible, but makes things very difficult.

I've heard old wive's tales about people winning a roto league while completely punting a catagory, but I've never seen in work in a competitive league.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:28 am

One of the biggest mistakes I've seen from people new to fantasy leagues is putting together a team of old burned out stars.

One of the guys I'm currently in a league with started playing fantasy baseball 3 years ago. At that time, he'd often come to me for advice about his players, or trades he was considering, etc. After a while, it became an inside joke between us that he should always assume, unless otherwise told, that my answer would always be, "He's old, and not very good anymore; you probably don't want him on your team."

To his credit, he's put together a very competitive team this year. And he resisted the urge to draft his favorite pitcher (Mussina) in favor of Vazquez in our keeper league.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:30 am

IT was very competitive ROTO league. I won the league by 1 pt. 3rd place 1.5 out.

It can be done & I am trying to do it again this year.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quickfingerz » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:27 am

Draft adjusting is IMHO the #1... The simple and easiest one is position eligibility and maximum innings.

If your playing in an Yahoo league that includes the MI position, I wouldn't even touch an OF until the 10th round or so.

If your max innings are low:
Gagne is the #1 pitcher in fantasy baseball. His 120 innings would be enough to help dominate K, ERA, and WHIP.
Draft pitchers early and once you'll get enough to max up on innings, there should be plenty of good batters left.

If your max innings are HIGH:
Draft good bats first. Unless there is a steal in the draft don't touch a starting pitcher early. Spot start only.

Dice wrote:Also, not adjusting for the scoring rules of your particular league before it's too late. For example, if you're in a points league which counts strikeouts against hitters, all the rankings and cheat sheets that you see are very misleading if you don't adjust.
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby matmat » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:08 am

Madison wrote:
Meetssg wrote:Wrong I won my 12 team 6x5 league without a single closer last year.

H2H or roto?

H2H is possible, but makes things very difficult.

I've heard old wive's tales about people winning a roto league while completely punting a catagory, but I've never seen in work in a competitive league.

not that it matters, but I managed to win my 14 team 5x5 (OBP + SLG instead of AVG and HR) roto while punting steals -- unlike save guys, steal guys tend to contribute to just one category...
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:19 am

In one of my H2H leagues that counts holds and saves, I'm loaded up on about 8 RP's because nobody else was taking them...2 of the are Graves and Shields so I can slot them in at SP, and have 7 RP's going every night. They give a low ERA, WHIP, great K/9, lots of saves/holds, and throw a win in here and there. I figure that 3 good RP's equals a top notch SP. They take up 3 times as many spots, but this way I can have my 3 or 4 SP's gong when they start, and when they aren't I toss in Graves and Shields. I also have a spare RP or two on the bench for days off (right now it's Urbina and Mantei riding the pine). I think this strategy should work fine, and since it's H2H I can afford to lose Wins as long as I win K's, HLD, SV, ERA, and WHIP :-D H2H is the place to punt categories fellas. It's easy to get away with ignoring anybody with 10 or more SB's, if it means that you have a much better chance of winning HR, RBI, R, and BA. Make sure you stick by your strategy though, and make sure it will work before devoting a draft to it.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Fantstud » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:23 am

Drafting all big name players. Might as well break out that 1995 Fantasy magazine.
Fantstud
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Apollo » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:59 pm

I won my H2H league last year by punting saves. It was a 7x7 league, and i figured sacrificing the one category would let me win more, especially since the closer run started in round 3.

That said, the mistakes I've seen are going for their favorite players, old washed-up players, going by Yahoo's rankings too much, and ignoring steals.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:27 pm

Ive read on this thread a lot of guys warning you away from veteran players, and I just want to counter that by saying be careful of jumping on the bandwagon of no name guys or youngsters that start off hot. I wonder how many teams traded for Dontrelle Willis after his initial start - or Runelvys Hernandez for that matter.

The point is you have to do your homework on specific players - not just look at their stats from last yr, but actually ask why something happened. A players situation directly influences his production - for example hitting 2nd instead of 8th is huge, or being injured, or pitchers adjusting to a new environment, etc...

Do your homework.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:29 pm

BTW - for those of you saying you have won your roto leagues by punting saves - how many of those were in standard 5x5 leagues?

I can see punting cats when there are 15 to choose from, but it makes it a bit harder when there are 10.

Anyone win a 5x5 roto league by punting saves?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers