Starting Pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Starting Pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:19 pm

kalibernc wrote:Would it be wise then to have more RP than SP in a Roto League? Like... Maybe 4 SP and the rest RP?

A general rule I have been give is to have more RP than SP in H2H, and vice versa in a Roto league.

I think you have it backwards. In h2h leagues you should have more SP than RP. There isn't an innings limit in h2h so getting as many innings as possible is a good strategy because usually more innings mean more Ks and Wins. And 2 closers will usually be good enough in a h2h league. Roto leagues have inning limits so RPs are more valuable because the quality innings they give you count more. I would never use a middle relief pitcher in a h2h league but I'd use them freely in a roto league.

Back to your original question: There is no way I'd drop Maddux or Zambrano for Wilson. This is a marathon not a sprint. These guys will be way more valuable than Wilson.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kalibernc » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:40 pm

Thanks gents for the advice.
When at first I was told to have more RP than SP in H2H it didn't seem right but I went along with it seeing I'm rookie here. I need to make some adjustments then.
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kalibernc » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:31 am

Any idea why some people would take more SP's in a Roto league than RP's? What's the strategy behind that?
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mighty Monks » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:38 am

some people are new just like yourself, or they have their own strategies. The more SP you have, the more you can select which ones you start to go after the best matchups. Howeve as someone above menioned, I like using Rp more in roto. If you get 3-4 very good starters and a couple others with good potential you can spot start, and some good relievers, that is a good setup, imo. My pitchin staff is below, and is setup how I am talking about...Keep in mind, I have ended up with 5 closers somehow, but middle relievers with good era/whip/k's work here too.

SP-Mussina, BEckett, Morris, webb(Start almost every time)
Pavano, Lohse( start against lesser teams)
RP-Rivera, Benitez, Julio, Riske, Urbina
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kalibernc » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:47 am

In the drafts I would draft 9 or 10 pitchers total. The pitching roster in the leagues I'm in are setup as SP,SP,RP,RP,P,P,P and extras are BN. If I have nine pitchers I'd like to have four SP, two that stay in the lineup and two on the bench; and I can rotate them. And the remaining spots keep RPs in there.
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mighty Monks » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:19 am

In roto, you need to look at what your ip limit is. The default is 1250. SP usually on avg get around 200 ip per year and RP around 70. IF you carry 4 SP and 5 RP, that is 800 for SP and 350 for RP for a total of 1150. ALso, if you have 3 Starters going on one night, you will lose some innings, this is why I like to go with at least 5 starters. This way you make sure you reach your inning limit and you can be a little more conservative with when you start players. Say your #4 pitcher is Brett Myers, you probably dont wantr to start him at COlorado, but if you dont start your pitchers every start, you will be quite a ways away from 1250 and the other teams who make it closer to 1250 will stand a better shot on at winning more of the pitching categories. If your roster size is at least 22-23, try to go with 5-6 starters and 4-5 relievers. just my 2 cents
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers