Starting Pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Starting Pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting Pitchers

Postby kalibernc » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:48 am

Is it a good strategy to have one or two SP that are droppable in order to pick up an SP scheduled to pitch to pick up a possible win? I'm in a Roto 5x5
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kalibernc » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:55 am

The SP line up I have in one league is:

Maddux
C. Zambrano
K. Wells
Sabathia
Hudson
Wolf

I'm planning on picking up P. Wilson for Monday and dropping Maddux or Zambrano. I'm asking because I'm new to FLB and learning the ropes of Roto.
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 4Pack » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:03 am

I have never played Roto 5x5....but I cannot imagine that I would drop either of those two from my roster for Wilson.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kalibernc » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:07 am

One bit of info a person gave me was in a Roto you will rotate SP by add/drop during the season.
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kalibernc » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:08 am

I wouldn't drop Pedro if I had him. I'm thinking it's not necessarily good to hold onto a player just because of his name if he's not playing well.
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 4Pack » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:11 am

That may be a good strategy...but I think it is to early to start dropping pitchers with the potential of those two just to pick up a one start pitcher. If it was V.Zambrano...it may be a differnt story. Again..I have never played Roto...but I just don't see where that would be beneficial to your team.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kalibernc » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:19 am

ok thanks
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fishingmn » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:01 am

No - you don't drop players off of your roster just to find a pitcher to start.

What you can do is rotate pitchers from your bench to your starting spots as they have starts coming up. Many people will do this depending on the matchup that the pitcher faces that day.

For example, pitcher is pitching in Dodger stadium which is pitcher friendly - start him vs. pitcher playing in Colorado - bench him.

If you just drop them off your roster you will likely find another owner will grab them and then you've totally messed up by dropping a better overall pitcher.

You only drop/add when you think the player you are adding is more important throughout the season to you in comparison to the one you are dropping.

One note - you need to be aware in regards to starting pitchers is whether your league has an innings pitched maximum for the season. Yahoo public leagues for example have a 1250 innings limit. The average starting pitcher may pitch 200 innings. If you had 7 starters that you were rotating in to get as many starts as possible you will exceed the innings limit (and that doesn't count that you need closer innings in there too). This is why it's important to work on getting quality innings - not quantity of innings. You want to start your best pitchers all the time and your good pitchers some of the time.

I know it's early in the season and you're hyped up about fantasy baseball. In all honesty it's the owner that is still managing their roster in July/August that wins a majority of the time. In my experience interest wanes in a significant number of owners by that time of year.
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kalibernc » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:00 pm

Would it be wise then to have more RP than SP in a Roto League? Like... Maybe 4 SP and the rest RP?

A general rule I have been give is to have more RP than SP in H2H, and vice versa in a Roto league.
kalibernc
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:09 pm

i like 5 SP and 5 RP. Gives me a nice balance of wins, ks and saves. I am banking on winning saves this year since i have 5 starting closers on my team. Dont rotate pitchers, because you will probably end up losing many good pitchers for crappy ones who are starting. Unlike Fantasy Football where there is a point based system, it isnt a big deal if you miss a SP spot for the day or you dont start a SP because he may get shelled.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers