Torre and Yankees agree on extension - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Torre and Yankees agree on extension

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Torre and Yankees agree on extension

Postby WebHamster » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:00 pm

Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - The New York Yankees signed manager Joe Torre to a three-year contract extension Friday, securing his services on the bench through the 2007 season. The deal also includes a six-year agreement that will allow Torre to remain with the club as an advisor through 2013.

The 63-year-old Torre, who won the National League MVP Award in 1971 as a player with St. Louis, has guided the Yankees to four World Series titles, six American League pennants and six consecutive AL East championships as the team's manager. The Yankees won the World Series in 1996, '98, '99 and 2000.

The 1996 and '98 AL Manager of the Year has compiled a 789-508 mark since taking over in New York for Buck Showalter prior to the '96 campaign.

"Basically this is the last major league team I'm going to be with," Torre commented. "I'm very proud to say that because it's a hell of a place to hang your hat. It really means a great deal for me to have been a Yankee manager these eight years and to know this will be the last uniform I'll wear."

Torre's career managerial record stands at 1,683-1,511 with the Yankees, Mets, Cardinals and Braves.

Torre is in his ninth year with the club, the longest uninterrupted run of any Yankees manager since Casey Stengel (1949-60). Even more remarkable about Torre's tenure is the short leash that meddlesome owner George Steinbrenner had on many of his previous managers.

"George Steinbrenner is not very happy when you lose," Torre said. "That's most of the fun about being here. You know he's going to put the players on the field that are going to certainly help you win."

Steinbrenner and Torre's relationship was rocky last year, with much of the controversy centered on bench coach Don Zimmer. Things have apparently gotten better with Zimmer now a member of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and the extension was more of a matter of time than a surprise.

"Last year I wasn't sure during the course of the year if the Yankees had enough of me or not," Torre said. "I knew I had one more year left on the contract and that was my responsibility. Certainly coming into spring training I was going to make the most of it and I did not want to bring up the (contract extension). When George mentioned it to me this spring it sort of changed things in my mind."

The two sides had been in negotiations for several months.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 445)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates